Potato capsicum Masala Rice
To make this rice all you need is some cooked rice, onion, potato and of course bell peppers. I used a mix of green and red bell peppers but you can use only green or a mix of other bell peppers too. This is an easy one pot meal which you can prepare without much stress for weekday dinners. I have used brown basmati here, long grain rice, white basmati would work just as well, in fact better here!
I used lentils (channa, urad dal, brown lentils) with spices for the masala.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Waiting time: 30 minutes
- Brown basmati rice-1cup
- Sliced potatoes-2medium
- Sliced capsicums-3-4
- Sliced onion-1num
- Bay leaf-1
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon/lime juice-to taste
- Red chillies-3 slit
- Urad dal-1tbsp
- Channa dal- 1tbsp
- Brown lentils-1tbsp
- Desiccated coconut-2tbsp
- Cinnamon-1inch stick
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Pepper corns-4
• Chopped coriander/ Nuts
For preparing rice:
- Wash and soak basmati brown rice for 30 minutes. After soaking time- drain and set aside.
- Now boil enough water in a sauce pan- add soaked rice, salt and cook for 15-18 minutes/until fluffy.
- Once cooked drain and allow it to cool on a broad pan.
For preparing masala powder:
- In a pan dry roast the ingredients mentioned under the grinding table and once it cools a bit ground it to fine powder in a food processor/blender and set aside.
For masala rice:
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, bay leaf and saute until fragrant.
- Add potatoes and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Now add sliced capsicum and continue to cook until tender.
- Once the veggies are cooked toss in cooked and cooled rice, ground spice salt.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until rice coated well with the spices and heated through.
- Turn off the flame, season with some lime juice. Garnish with coriander/nuts.
Serve hot with roasted peanut and cucmber raita.
- I love the capsicums crunchy so didn’t saute them for long if you want your capsicums to be completely cooked saute for few more minutes.
- You can even add roasted cashews/ peanuts
- You can replace Bulgur with Brown Rice