Figs, Dates and Coconut puran poli
Puran poli is a classic Maharastrian dish, also very famous in Gujarat. Some people make a sweet filling using chana dal /Coconut / toor dal. Puran Poli is known as Holige in Karnataka. Here I used figs, dates and coconut as a filling with the use of minimal sugar/ sweetner. However sweetner can be skipped and additionak dates csn be added .This is a sweet served during auspicious occasions and festivals
Yields: 8-10 Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time:
- Wheat flour-2cups
- Salt- pinch
- Olive oil-2tbsp+ for toasting.
- Chopped figs-200gms
- Chopped dates-200gms
- Grated coconut-1/2cup
- Any milk of choice- 1/4cup
- Sunflower spread/butter-2tbsp
- Brown sugar- 2 – 3 tbsp (adjust as per the taste)
- Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
Procedure: For dough:
- In mixing bowl combine wheat flour, salt mix well and add little water at a time until everything comes together and knead to soft dough.
- Drizzle 2tbsp oil wrap and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Divide the dough to equal portions 8-10 portions and set aside.
- Soak chopped dates and figs in milk for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate the coconut in the food processor and set aside.
- Now place soaked dates and figs along with milk in the processor and blends it to smooth paste.
- Heat sunflower spread in a pan add ground dates, figs paste and saute until slightly thickens.
- Add grated coconut, sugar and continue to cook stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Once the mixture thickens enough turn off the flame, stir in cardamom powder.
For the poran poli:
- Now take one portion of the dough ball roll to a small 3 inch diameter circle, place a potion of filling in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly, now press slightly and again roll out again into a circle of 5inch diameter.
- Heat a non-stick tava/griddle and place the rolled puran poli and cook on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing and serve hot.
- Dates and figs can also be soaked in water for 1-2 hours, after soaking time drain and then blend to smooth paste.
- Skip added sugar and use extra dates as desired