Panner Dates Burfi
So here’s an exquisite, delightful tasting burfi recipe using paneer, which is super easy. You don’t need ghee or oil or condensed milk yet, it really tastes awesome even without such richening ingredients. No sugar syrup and no consistencies are needed. Just grab your ingredients and make these burfis at no time.
The recipe tastes yum with a wonderful flavour and the crunchy tit bits of nuts makes it scrumptious.
Yields: 12-14 pieces
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
Milk – 1.5 Ltr
Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Skimmed milk powder-1/2 to 3/4cup (depending on the consistency of the mixture can add more or less)
- Dates paste/molasses- 1/4cup (as per the sweet can be increased or decreased)
- Unsalted Sunflower butter/spread – 1 tbsp + For greasing
- Ground cardamom powder-1/4tsp
- Saffron – a generous pinch soak with 2 tbsp of Milk
- Roasted chopped pistachio- 2tbsp +for garnishing
To Make Panner:
- Boil Milk in a thick bottomed Pan. When it comes to boil turn off the flame and add the lemon juice
- Allow it to curdle
- Then strain in a muslin cloth. Run some water on Panner to remove lemon traces
- Squeeze the excess water until the moisture evoparates
To make the sweet:
- Heat sunflower spread/butter in a pan add dates molasses/syrup and sauté for 2-3 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- Add in Paneer, Milk powder, and cook on a medium low flame with continuous stirring until the mixture thickens and everything comes together. (Can add extra milk powder depending on the consistency of the mixture)
- Add cardamom powder, pistachio, soaked saffron and mix well and cook for a minute or two and then transfer to greased plate and flatten it evenly using back of the spoon.
- Garnish with pistachio and keep it at room temperature for 2-3 hours and then cut to desired shape.
Can be consumed same day or store it in refrigerator in an air-tight and consume within 3-4 days.
- Alternatively clarified butter/ghee can be used instead of sunflower spread
- I used homemade Panner, which is preferable as the store bought one might slightly vary in taste and texture.
- If using store bought use Scrambled or grated Paneer/cottage cheese-150 gms
- If you want to make your nice shapes then add more milk powder or powdered nuts which helps to get the shape.
- If you need to make a dates paste: Blend Deseeded and Choped dates in a blender/food processor until smooth.