2 in 1 Garlic Kulcha – Yeast free
This yummy dish gets a fresh twist with a unique topping. Pizza and flatbreads are in constant dinner rotation but today I felt like trying something apart from pizza so tried this kulchas topped with potato, tomatoes, spinach without any cheese. This flatbread/ kulchas recipe is a twist on my pizza dough, however I tried to avoid yeast and added a splash of yogurt, baking sods and garlic-infused olive oil.
Yields-8-10 Preparation time-15 minutes
Resting time-1 hour
Cooking time-25-30 minutes (3-4 minutes/kulchas)
- Whole wheat flour-2cups
- Baking powder-1/2tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Natural yogurt/curd-1/2cup
- Olive oil-2tbsp
For garlic topping:
- Parsley- 1/4cup (can substitute with cilantro/coriander)
- Olive oil-2tbsp +1tbsp
- Sliced Potato-2medium
- Spinach leaves-1cup
- Sun-dried tomatoes- as required (alternatively fresh tomatoes can be used)
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda mix well.
- Add in yogurt, oil, water and mix well until it comes together into a dough.
- Place the mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead well for few minutes.
- And now place in a greased bowl wrap it with cling film and let it sit for 1-2hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping.
- After resting time- divide to 8-10 equal portions.
- Take one portion and sprinkle some nigella seeds, dust some dry flour and start rolling into small sized kulchas.
- Heat a griddle or tava and place the rolled kulchas on the tava.
- Cook one side partly, flip and spread the garlic-parsley mixture on the partially cooked surface, flip again and cook the garlic coated surface for few seconds.
- Once both the sides are cooked, before taking off top it with sauted potato slices, tomatoes and spinach,
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and topping.
Serve hot as bread or with chickpeas in tomato walnut gravy.
- Now place garlic, parsley (coriander), olive oil in a food processor and pulse until crushed.
- Now add sliced potato, drizzle some olive oil and saute until tender (add in tomatoes and saute if using fresh tomatoes)
- Now transfer the sauted potatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, (or tomatoes if using) to a plate, add fresh chopped spinach to it and set aside.
- I used potato with the skin and topping can be personalised, I used sun-dried tomatoes for topping, fresh tomatoes can also be used.
- Topping is optional but requires a gravy to serve with Kulcha