Roasted ridge gourd, tomato and dill soup – Vegan
Roasted ridge gourd and tomato soup is most flavourful that has spices, garlic and dill leaves which adds mild flavour to the soup. Lentils make the soup thick, creamy and velvety without adding any cream. Roasted gourd, tomatoes and onions gives rich and unique taste.
Serve this soup with a slice of grilled bread or croutons. Ridge gourd not only adds taste to the soup, it is also packed with a bundle of healthy and nutritious elements.
Ridge gourd also known as luffa as it is used as a loofah or bath sponge when it matures and its flesh and seeds are removed. It is also green in color and gets its name from the ridges on its body.
Ridge gourd contains a good amount of vitamins and minerals apart from a high quantity of dietary fiber and low quantity of fats and cholesterol. It is good for the digestive system and is also known to purify blood. It can also provide a cure for various diseases like eczema, piles and psoriasis.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes OR Cooking time: 10 minutes for Ridge gourd
Cooking time for soup: 15 minutes
- Chopped to small cubes ridge gourd-1 cup
- Cut into halves tomatoes-3-4 num
- Chopped Dill leaves stems included-a handful
- Chopped onion-1num
- Garlic-3 cloves
- Pepper corns-4
- Oil- 2tsp + 2tsp
- Vegetable stock/ water-1cup
- Salt- as per taste
Cooking of Ridge Gourd
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a pan add chopped ridge gourd, dill leaves, pepper corns, salt, garlic, tomatoes, onions. Saute until ridge gourd are tender and cooked (~8 – 10 minutes)
- Let it cool a bit
- Then blend it to a smooth puree in a blender or food processor.
Baking of Ridge Gourd:
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg c (Fan assisted) grease the baking tray and set aside.
- Take a bowl and add ridge gourd, dill leaves, pepper corns, salt, garlic, tomatoes, onions pour some olive oil toss until coated and saute in the pan until ridge gourds are tender and cooked
- Transfer all ingredients into a baking tray and put it into the oven and roast for 18-20 minutes at 180 deg c (Fan assisted) OR until ridge gourd and tomatoes are soft.
- Once cooked pull the vegetables out of oven and allow it to cool.
- Then blend to puree in the blender/food processor
Once blended puree is made follow this process either for Cooked OR Baked version of Ridge gourd:
- Heat oil add vegetable stock/water and let it boil for 2-3 minutes on medium low flame.
- Then add blended puree; mix well and bring it to boil by stirring in between.
- Once it comes to boil adjust the consistency by adding extra water/stock simmer again for 2-3 minutes
- Garnish with coconut milk.
Serve hot with toast/breads.
- Any kind of gourds / pumpkin also can be used as variation.
- Can use milk/ cream instead of coconut milk.
I am bringing this recipe to Kimmy’s HVF#42
Posted on March 31, 2015, in Indian, Vegan. Bookmark the permalink. 12 Comments.
Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.
Flavourful soup !
Glad you liked it Saritha
Healthy and sounds delicious too…
Thank you Priya
I have never cooked with this kind of gourd Chitra. I will keep an eye out for it at the market!
Auntjuju these veggies can be used to make variety of Indian dishes…Hope you’ll find in the market
I don’t think I’ve ever had ridge gourd before. This soup sounds very good though – I love the addition of dill =) Thank you so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I have pinned this recipe to the Pinterest Board.
Kimmy – These are indian veggies which can be found in a nearest Indian stores…Give this a try when feasible