Masbele Sambar/Ridge gourd stew
This sambar is very easy to make, and uses only a few simple ingredients. Ridge gourd, onions, garlic, cumin and tomatoes. This is light and comforting dish. I love to use tomatoes to help neutralize the taste and the tomatoes add the right amount of acidity to balance the taste.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Ridge gourd-2 cups (diced into chunks)
- Toor dal-1/2 cup (rinsed and washed thoroughly)
- Diced onions-1 medium
- Diced tomatoes-2 medium
- Garlic cloves-3
- Green chilies-3-4
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Asafoetida- a generous pinch
- Red chillies-2 (slit)
- Curry leaves-8-10
- Chopped coriander – for garnishing
- In a pressure cooker combine Toor dal, ridge gourd, onion, tomatoes, chillies, garlic -add 3-4 cups of water and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and then let it cool a bit.
- Now combine the cooked dal, veggies in the blender/food processor and blend it to smooth.
- Transfer to the saucepan add water if you feel it’s thick adjust the consistency and bring it to boil on a medium high flame.
- Once it comes to boil- simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the seasoning:
- Heat oil in a small pan- add mustard seeds, cumin seeds as it crackles- add asafoetida, red chillies, curry leaves and pour the tempering over sambar; Mix well. Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with steamed rice.