Lime and Thyme Cake (Eggless)
I love all things citrus, so it only makes sense that I love this herb called thyme, with its refreshing fragrance and flavour, reminiscent of lemon zest, but with an additional, elusive herbal allure.
Lime Thyme cake is moist, sweet, limy and woodsy. The lime-thyme syrup adds to the burst of sunshine on this cake and helps keep it moist as well.
Yields: 6-8 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking/baking time: 25-35 minutes
- Wheat flour-1cup
- Baking powder-1/2tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Corn starch-1tbsp
- Light evaporated milk (4%fat)-1can
- Fruit sugar-1/3 cup (or as per sweet desired)
- Fresh thyme-finely chopped- 11/2-2tsp
- Lime juice-2-3tbsp
- Lime zest-1tbsp
- Sunflower spread-2tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Fruit sugar-3tbsp
- Lime juice-1/4cup
- Fresh thyme-finely chopped-2tsp
- Pre-heat the oven at 160deg C fan assisted/180 deg C, grease the cake pan/Bundt pan and set aside.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, corn starch, thyme, lime zest in a bowl mix until blended.
- Place the sunflower spread, evaporated milk, fruit sugar, lime juice in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Once the evaporated milk mixture reaches the desired consistency slowly add the flour mixture in 2-3 batches and mix until well combined and dropping consistency batter is obtained.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool a bit, meanwhile make a syrup
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned in a small pan and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat and keep warm
- Place the cake in the tray/counter and using a pastry brush, dab a little of the syrup on the top of the cakes
- Sprinkle some fresh thyme, slice and serve.
- Baking time varies from oven to oven so keep an eye and bake until the skewer/toothpick inserted comes out clear.
- Evaporated milk can be substituted with coconut milk/milk of choice.
- For more soft and spongy texture wheat flour can be replace with plain flour.
- Lemon can also be used in place of lime.
- Sweetness can be personalised as per the taste.
- Regular sugar/brown sugar or any sweetener of choice can be used alternatively to fruit sugar.