Baked – Pumpkin Donuts with butterscotch sauce (Using muffin pan)
Yippee, I tried donuts for the first time. Believe me I just used aluminium foil balls to convert the muffin pan to the donut pan. These doughnuts don’t have yeast and come together very quickly. There’s no rising time, no kneading, and no frying.
I used homemade Butterscotch as a glaze and sunflower and pumpkin seeds as a crunchy toppings.
Yields-10-12 (small donuts)
Preparation time- 20 minute
Baking time-20 to 25 minutes
- Whole wheat flour-1 1/2 cup
- Baking powder-1 1/2tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Salt- 1/2tsp
- Fruit sugar/any sweetener of choice-1/4cup (or as sweet desired)
- Ground cardamom-1/2tsp
- Sunflower baking spread-1/4cup
- Pumpkin puree-3/4cup ( I used homemade puree made on stove top – For Recipe click here)
- Vanilla extract-1tsp
- Warm water/milk-1/4-1/2cup (as required to form the thick batter)
- Cooking spray/butter-to grease
- Low-fat butter scotch sauce-1/4cup (For Recipe click here)
- Toasted pumpkin and melon seeds- for topping
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C.
- If you have a donut pan, grease with cooking spray or if not grease mugging/cupcake pan.
- Can use muffin pan and bake donuts like muggins or for making hole in between the donuts- rip off about 5 inches long aluminium foil and smush it into a cute little ball.
- Repeat to make enough balls and fill your muffin tin –one per cup. Grease with butter or cooking spray.
For the donut batter:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom powder and set aside.
- Now in another large bowl whisk in wet ingredients-pumpkin puree, sunflower spread, 1/4cup warm water/milk, fruit sugar, vanilla until well combined
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- If your using donut tray just divide the batter into the greased tray but for muffin tray with foil balls pouring may not distribute the batter evenly so I used icing bag( you can use ziplock cover), just transfer the prepared batter into the icing bag/ziplock bag and divide into the prepared muffin pan (if using ziplock bag strip of the tip and simply pipe it and for icing bag use any free flowing tip and pipe it)
- Once piping is done bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes/until a toothpick inserted comes out clear.
- Once the donuts are baked allow it to cook a bit then spoon a line of butterscotch sauce and sprinkle toasted seeds
- Feel free to personalise the topping and glaze as per the taste.
- Butter/olive oil can also be used alternatively to sunflower spread.
- Glaze can be skipped if you are in a hurry
I am bringing this recipe to Angie’s FF#47