Fresh herbs vegetable rice
This herbed vegetable rice entree is a one-pot-wonder, including the carbohydrates, vegetables, and protein with the flavours of fresh herbs for a complete meal.
Fresh basil is a good source of vitamin A (called pro-vitamin A) and helps protect against free-radical damage. It’s also a good source of magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, and vitamin C. Basil has anti-inflammatory effects and promotes cardiovascular health. Basil leaves are tastiest (and healthiest)
Sage is an outstanding memory enhancer. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Sage has dietary fiber, vitamin A (carotenoid), calcium, and iron. Sage can be found fresh, dried, or ground and is a great addition to stuffing’s and warmer dishes.
Preparation time: 30 minutes (including the cooking time of rice)
Cooking time: 30 minutes (Potato takes longer to cook)
- Brown rice-2 cups
- Water/vegetable broth-4cups
- Olive oil-2tsp
- Chopped Onion-1small
- Chopped Carrots-1/2cup
- Chopped Beans-1/2cup
- Frozen Peas-1/2cup
- Baby Potatoes (halved)-6-8
- Chopped Basil- a handful
- Chopped Sage-a handful
- Diced Jalapeno pepper-1small
- Sea Salt-to taste
- Garlic powder-1tsp
- Chopped herbs
To cook rice:
- Wash, rinse brown rice and soak for 30 minutes. After soaking time drain.
- Now bring water/vegetable broth to boil in a saucepan add soaked- drained rice and cook on a medium-high flame for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
For vegetable rice:
- Heat oil in the pan; Add garlic, onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add carrot, potato, beans and sauté for 8-10 minutes/ until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Now add peas, jalapeno pepper, sage, basil and sauté for 4-5 minutes/ until the flavour of greens blended in.
- Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, paprika, cooked brown rice and sauté a final 5 minutes and turn the heat off.
Garnish with herbs and Serve with any curry/side dish.
- Alternatively white rice/bulgur or any rice can be used.
- Spices, herbs and vegetables can be personalised as per the taste.
- Chilli can be used in place of Jalapeno peppers
- If Potatoes are not used then the cooking time will reduce between 15 to 20 minutes