Saag Spinach tofu
This is a delicious and healthier version of saag paneer that uses tofu rather than cheese. This is wonderful velvety dish with the fresh cubes of tofu.
The health benefits of green leafy vegetables are many, and as such they should be an important part of a healthy diet. Greens are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that prevent cancer and other diseases. According to the food pyramid guidelines, an average adult needs 3 cups of leafy greens per week. The variety of green leafy vegetables available makes it easy and interesting to include them in our meals.
Yields: 4-5 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Mustard leaves/Saag-1bunch
- Spinach leaves-1bunch
- Tofu-1package (250gms)
- Green chillies-4-5num
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1/2tsp
- Finely chopped/grated onion-1medium size
- Corn starch/corn flour-1tbsp
- Minced garlic-2tsp
- Minced ginger-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-1tbsp+for toasting tofu
- Lemon juice-to taste
- Drain the tofu and set onto paper towel over a flat surface and cover with additional paper towel if require and set a heavy weight on it to drain the remaining water. Allow the tofu to set for 20-30minutes.
- After 30minutes, remove the tofu from the paper towel and cut into 1/2inch cubes.
- Heat oil in the medium frying pan add the tofu cubes and saute until golden on all sides. Remove on the paper towl and set aside.
- Dissolve corn starch/flour with 1/4cup of water and set aside.
- Cut the stems of greens-wash the green well.
- Chop them coarsely and place them in a steamer and steam for 2-3minutes and allow it to cool a bit (can alternatively boil the greens)
- (steaming less helps to retain the colour of greens)
- Once cooled blend the greens to coarse/smooth along with green chillies.
- Heat oil in the pan add onion, ginger, garlic and saute for 2-3minutes or until the raw flavour goes off.
- Add turmeric, coriander-cumin powder mix well and saute for 1-2minutes
- Add green puree, corn flour-water mixture mix well and boil until the mixture thickens.
- Add salt, shallow fried tofu mix well and cook on a low flame until heated through.
- Turn off the flame and sprinkle some lemon juice.
Serve hot with roti/naan/paratha. (For recipes click here)
- Greens and spices can be varied as per the taste.