Lemon parsley Mediterranean bulgur
A very easy rice with lemon and parsley. Here I used green chillies for spice but feel free to customise as per your taste. I used Mediterranean bulgur as a healthy variation to rice –alternatively any rice of choice can be used and follow the same procedure.
This dish is great for breakfast, lunch and even for packed lunch.
I served this with coriander-mint chives raita (link)
Parsley is rich in many vital vitamins, including Vitamin C, B 12, K and A. This means parsley keeps your immune system strong, tones your bones and heals the nervous system, too. It helps flush out excess fluid from the body, thus supporting kidney function. However, the herb contains oxalates, which can cause problems for those with existing kidney and gall bladder problems. Regular use of parsley can help control your blood pressure. The folic acid in this herb is like a tonic for your heart.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Mediterranean bulgur/any rice of choice-2 cups
- Finely chopped parsley-1/2 cup
- Lemon juice from half lemon
- Chopped onion-2 medium
- Chopped green chillies-3 number (optional)
- Chopped Capsicum – 1 medium
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Water- 2 1/2
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Wash and rinse bulgur once/twice and soak for 15 – 30minutes.
- After soaking time drain and boil 21/2cups of water in a saucepan, add in coconut milk, drained bulgur, 1/4tsp salt and cook until soft and fluffy (about 12-15minutes)
- Once cooked spread it on a broad pan/dish and allow it to cool a bit.
- Heat oil in the pan; Add in cumin seeds, as it splutter add onion, chillies and saute until translucent.
- Add Capsicum, turmeric, salt and mix well and continue to cook until Capsicum is tender for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add cooked bulgur toss to coat the rice well in the mixture and simmer until heated through.
- Turn off the flame and toss in parsley, lemon juice.
- Garnish with peanut and serve.
- Alternatively ground pepper can be used instead of green chillies.