Fresh Figs Cornmeal Porridge – Gluten Free
Cinnamon spiced cornmeal porridge with fresh figs is perfect for the cold wintery days and the colours remind me of the autumn months. I love porridge, even living in the hot summer dessert, I still crave a delicious comforting porridge which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.
This dish is inspired by Kesari bath, an Indian sweet breakfast.
Cornmeal is ground dried corn, which is added to certain recipes like bread and pancakes. It can also be cooked to make polenta or grits. It’s also a good alternative to flour for people who have a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. The food supplies a wealth of certain nutrients, too.
Cornmeal has a good carbohydrate. These types of whole grains contain complex carbs, fiber and other nutrients, and they can help prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
Preparation time-5 minutes
Cooking time-15-20 minutes
- Polenta/fine corn meal-1/2 cup
- Water-2 cups
- Ground cinnamon-1/2 tsp
- Maple syrup -to taste
- Milk of choice -1/2 cup
- Sliced fresh figs-4-6
- Maple syrup -1 tbsp (Optional)
- Coconut oil-1 tbsp
- Nuts chopped (Pistachio, Sunflower seeds etc.,)
- Add cornmeal to a bowl and pour in 1/2cup water and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- While the cornmeal is soaking, add the remaining 1 1/2cup water to a saucepan along with milk, cover and bring it to boil.
- Pour in soaked cornmeal along with water in the bowl, lower the heat and let it simmer and keep whisking to avoid lumps.
- Let it simmer for 10-12minutes, once the cornmeal is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Stir in ground cinnamon, honey stirring until fully incorporated.
- Fresh Figs can just be topped before serving or stir in along with porridge
For an added crunchiness of figs:
- Just heat a skillet brush some coconut oil and place sliced figs and cook for a minute on each side. (Flip over before it changes it colour)
- Drizzle some Maple syrup over cooked figs and top on porridge and serve.
- Cornmeal form lumps so preferably soaking helps to avoid lumps.
- Sweetness can be personalised as per the taste
Water can be replaced completely with milk of choice