Tortizza Or Chapizza (Pan Cooked or Baked)
Okay, all Pizza lovers make it at home either on Hob or on Oven. I’ve always liked my pizzas on a big thick crust with beans and cheese .This pizza isn’t anything like that pizza, BUT it still gets you the pizza flavors in a much healthier way. My family thoroughly enjoyed it as did I.
The tortillas covered with salsa/ sauce and cheese plus toppings then baked until hot and golden brown. Then cut into wedges just like a real pizza and garnish with more toppings like sour cream or avocado.
Yields: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7 – 8 Minute (For topping)
Cooking time: 7- 8 minutes (Per Pizza)
Baking time: 10-12 Minutes (Per each batch)
- Whole wheat tortilla-4 (For recipe click here)
- Olive oil-1tbsp +for brushing
- Tomato paste/puree-1/2cup
- Chopped bell peppers-1 medium
- Chopped red onion-1 medium
- Cooked rose coco beans-1 can (drained and rinsed thoroughly)
- Sliced olives
- Low-fat cheese-to spread
- Salt and ground pepper- to taste
- Sour cream- topping
For the topping (Bean Sauce):
- Heat oil in a pan add onion, bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add tomato paste/sauce, salt, ground pepper stir and simmer for 4-5minutes.
- Once the sauce is cooked turn off the flame and allow it to cool a bit.
For cooking pizza on skillet:
- Place the tortillas on the hot skillet or Tawa and cook on a Medium-low flame for 3-4 minutes (Until dark spots appear and it is crispy) flip and spread the prepared bean mixture and sprinkle some cheese on the cooked surface.
- Cover with a lid and continue to cook on a low flame until the other side is cooked and cheese is melted(~3-4 minutes).
- Then transfer on to the plate, sprinkle some herbs/seasoning if desired
For Baking Pizza
- To slightly warm Tortillas – Heat a large skillet/tawa over medium heat on both sides (1-2 minutes) and place tortilla in the centre of the skillet, when the tortilla form air bubbles, flip it and cook it on the other side (if the tortillas are puffing up pierce using the fork to remove to deflate them a bit)
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg C, line the baking tray with baking sheet, grease and set aside.
- Spread the sauce on the tortilla and sprinkle on cheese, olives and bake for 10-12 minutes/ until the edges are browned.
- Let it cool slightly before removing from pan.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Sprinkle some salt, pepper, sour cream and serve
- Toppings and spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Can make tortillas ahead and then make this pizza or use store bought tortillas.
- Alternatively chapathi’s can also be used instead of tortillas.
- For Baking – Warming of Tortillas not required if you are using homemade Tortillas or Chapathi