Plantain Aubergine fenugreek curry – Vegan
This plantain Eggplant Curry with Coconut Milk is a mild curry as the spiciness of green chillies is toned down by creamy, sweet coconut milk. They melt in mouth, soft fleshed, stir fried Eggplant pieces, with crunchy bite of plantain pieces graciously embraced all the spices with flavour of fenugreek leaves and the addition of coconut milk just added that ‘oomph’ factor to this curry.
Plantains look similar to bananas, but they are vegetables instead of fruits and should be cooked to eat them. Plantains produce sufficient amounts of vitamin A, which are essential for eye health as well as normal growth. A diet lacking in vitamin A can result in difficulty seeing in the dark, dry eyes, eye infection and unhealthy skin. Adding cooked plantains to your diet is one way to increase your intake of this important vitamin.
Fenugreek leaves are strongly aromatic and flavorful. They are rich in vitamins such as thiamin, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamins A, B6, and C, and are a storehouse of minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, zinc, manganese, and magnesium. Fenugreek leaves are a rich source of vitamin K as well.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-25-30 minutes
- Raw plantain-2number
- Chopped fenugreek/methi leaves-2cups
- Chopped onion-2medium
- Chopped garlic-3cloves
- Chopped green chillies-3num
- Coconut milk-1tin
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp (optional)
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
- Roasted cumin powder-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Chop and discard the ends of the plantains, peel, chop and place them in water until required.
- Wash the aubergines- chop of the tip and dice it to cubes or chunks as desired.
- Heat 2tsp oil in the pan – add aubergines and saute until tender (~5-8minutes), once cooked transfer on to a plate and set aside.
- Now heat 2ts oil in the same pan add mustard seeds, as it splutters add chopped garlic, onion, green chillies and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add in chopped plantain and saute for 5-8minutes or until almost cooked.
- Now add fenugreek/methi leaves chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add in coconut milk and let it come to a boil.
- Now add sautéed eggplant and mix gently.
- Check for salt and spices and a little if required. Cook until it becomes a little thick.
Serve hot with roti/paratha.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.