Oats – Wheat seeded savoury crackers
Crackers are a delicious alternative to chips and can be served with afternoon tea or in a canapé spread. Try serving them a soup or a cuppa. This is an easy recipe. Switch and swap flours and seeds to make a new crackers as often you feel like working out your fore arms.
Pumpkins seeds are rich in the amino acids alanin, glycene and glutamic acid, as well as being a good source of zinc and omega-3 essential fatty acids. They also contain protein, iron and phosphorus and are low in carbohydrates.
Sesame seeds are packed with protein, iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium and phytic acid while being low in carbohydrates. They may help lower cholesterol levels, and are a well-known source of vitamin E plus omega-6 and monounsaturated fats.
Flaxseeds/Linseeds are an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, which are needed for most bodily functions, as well as dietary fibre and manganese.
Yields- 20 – 25
Preparation time-10 minutes
Baking time-25-30 minutes
- Whole Wheat flour -1cup
- Powdered oats – 1/2cup
- Olive oil-1/4cup + for greasing
- Minced green chilli-2
- Baking powder-1tsp
- Maple syrup-1tbsp
- Sesame seeds-2tsp
- Roughly ground-flaxseeds-2tbsp
- Roughly ground pumpkin seeds-2tbsp
- Water-1/2cup or as required to form the dough
- Roughly crushed seeds
- Pre-heat the oven at 160deg c. line the baking tray with baking sheet, grease some oil and set aside.
- Combine wheat flour, powdered oats, semolina, salt, baking powder with sesame, ground flax, pumpkin seeds
- In a separate bowl whisk 1/2cup water with maple syrup, oil stir in dry ingredients and mix to a medium firm dough
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes wrap and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Oil the work surface and roll the dough out to a thickness of 2-3mm
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into rectangles or diamonds of approximately 5x15cm.
- Place on the prepared trays close together but not touching.(after rolling can top with seeds – just brush some water and top with seeds and gently press it)
- Bake for 12minutes, flip over and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until golden on both sides.
- Once baked cool on the wire rack
Serve for snacks or once completely cooled store in airtight containers.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Baking time may vary with each appliance so keep an eye and bake until golden in colour.