Avocado Tortillas with salad and bean filling
I love how easy Mexican food is to prepare and it’s a joy to make because I know my family is going to love it. These tortillas are going to be perfect for some quick quesadillas or wraps. I used avocado which gives flavour and soft texture to the tortillas. Homemade tortillas are super easy, can make them ahead and cover with foil to avoid the dryness.
I stuffed these tortillas with fresh salads and beans. These wraps are a great healthy and delicious way to enjoy nutritious beans and fresh salad.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-25 minutes
Waiting time-20 minutes
- Whole wheat flour- 2 cups
- Avocado-2 medium
- Roasted cumin powder-1 tsp
- Garlic paste-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Olive oil-2 tsp
- Cooked red kidney beans-1/2cup
- Chopped red onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-1medium (scoop out the inner seeds)
- Chopped green bell peppers-1/2
- Chopped orange bell pepper-1/2
- Chopped yellow pepper-1/2
- Chopped cucumber-1/2cup (seeds removed)
- Salt- to taste
- Balsamic vinegar-2tbsp
- Olive oil-2tbsp
- Thyme walnut yogurt spread- as required (recipe link)
- Crushed black pepper-to taste
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pits and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowls.
- Mash avocados using a potato masher , add lemon juice, cuin powder, garlic paste, salt and mix well.
- Add whole wheat flour to the avocado paste and knead into a smooth dough (add water if desired to knead the dough)
- Smear olive oil on top of the dough wrap and let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Then divide the dough to 8 portions balls.
- Roll each dough balls in dry flour and roll it to 6-7 inch circles as big desired (sprinkle some extra flour if the dough sticks while rolling)
- Cook the rolled tortillas in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 1-2minutes each side or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Remove to a plate and cover with kitchen towel/napkin to keep warm.
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned in a except for the thyme-walnut spread in a bowl and toss well until combined.
- Place tortilla on a plate/counter and place some lettuce leaf if desired.
- Top with the bean salad dressing and finally top with 1-2tablespoon of thyme-walnut spread and turn in each end and roll up the sides to wrap tortillas.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and serve immediately.
Thyme Walnut spread (Recipe link)
- Vegetables and spices can be personalised as per the taste.