Velvet Beet Tofu mini cake – Vegan
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Make this valentine’s day memorable with a cute, delicious red velvet dessert. Armed with my heart shaped cookie cutter, I decided to make mini cakes instead of cookies for this year’s celebration.
However it’s always a challenge to make a Vegan and healthy cake. The texture is achieved by tofu and colour by beet puree. I used Coconut milk almond frosting, where there is a magical taste of coconut and grainy texture of almond.
Yields: 8-10 servings
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-30-40 minutes
- Wheat flour-2cups
- Baking powder-1/2tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Cocoa powder-3tbsp
- Silken tofu- 250gms
- Coconut sugar-1cup (can substitute with honey/agave nectar/brown or white sugar)
- Almond/soy milk-1/2 cup
- Beet puree-3/4cup (steam beets until tender and blend to puree)
- Sunflower/ vegetable oil- 1/4cup (butter can be used alternatively)
- Vanilla essence-1tbsp
- Hot water- 2-3tbsp ( feel free to add as per the batter consistency)
- Coconut milk-1cup
- Powdered almond/almond meal-1/2cup
- Desiccated coconut-2tbsp
- Fruit sugar-1/2cup (alternatively honey/agave nectar/sugar can be used)
- Cardamom powder-1/4tsp
- Sunflower spread/butter-2tbsp (alternatively butter can be used)
- Sprinklers OR Dark chocolates OR Fresh fruits
- Pre-heat the oven at 170deg C (fan assisted oven). Lightly grease two 9” round cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside
- Now in a blender, process the tofu, beet puree until creamy.
- Add agave nectar, oil, vanilla essence, milk and continue to process until smooth and combined.
- Now stir in tofu mixture to the flour mixture and mix well until the batter is just combined (the batter should be fairly smooth)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans for about 25-35minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the cakes comes out clean. (baking time varies from oven to oven)
- Once baked allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 5-10minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pans. Once cakes are completely cool and do the frosting.
While cake is baking Frosting can be prepared
- In a medium sauce pan, heat coconut milk, fruit sugar and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add powdered almond/almond meal, sunflower spread and continue to simmer until thickens a bit. (just enough to spread)
- Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in cardamom powder, desiccated coconut and allow pot to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool and thickens the frosting
- Place the cooled cake on a cutting board and using a heart shaped or any cookie cutter
- Cut the cake
- Spread the icing on one piece of mini cake and top another layer to make a sandwich
- Spread icing on second layer if desired
- Garnish with Sprinkler OR Dark chocolate or fresh fruits
Serve and Enjoy
- Feel free to substitute fruit sugar with regular sugar/coconut sugar/brown sugar.
- Sweetness can be personalised as per the taste.
- I used low fat coconut milk hence boiled to make it thicker and almond milk gave a frosting texture, which made it easy to spread
- Frosting can be personalised by using full fat coconut milk
- Frosting can be stored in Refrigerator a day earlier also. While spreading whisk it again to make it fluffy
- Yogurt can be used in place of Tofu