Thin noodles/Semiya in dates and coconut syrup
This recipe is similar to the One of the classic recipe of my home town Karnataka Ottu Shavige (Pressed homemade rice noodles)/Shemige/Akki shavige. I never had the Shavige Maker to make it fresh so tried with wheat thin noodles.
As a variation have used dates and coconut syrup. This recipe requires no special Indian ingredients and can be made thin wheat noodles, dates and coconut milk from your pantry. Your simple and quick to make dessert is ready, which can be served even for breakfast
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Wheat thin noodles/semiya- 200gms
- Medjol dates- ¾ cup (pitted and chopped)
- Grated/desiccated coconut-1/4 cup
- Low-fat coconut milk-1 can
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Light olive spread/butter-1 tbsp
- Mixed dry nuts (pistachio, almonds, cashews)
- Place coconut, dates with few tablespoon of coconut milk in a food processor and pulse until smooth and crushed
- Now boil water in a sauce pan and soak noodles for 3-5minutes until soften. Drain and set aside.
- Now heat olive spread in a pan and roast raisins, nuts until golden- remove to plate and set aside.
- In the same pan add ground dates-coconut paste and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add coconut milk-give a good stir, bring the mixture to boil and let it simmer for 4-5minutes.
- Turn off the flame and stir in cardamom powder.
- Place cooked noodles in a plate-top with a small cup of dates coconut syrup, garnish with roasted nuts, raisins and serve.
- I used wheat thin noodles so haven’t roasted before cooking.
- Dates gives natural sweetness but sugar/Jaggery can also be used.