Coconut flavoured Sweet potato dumplings – Baked
Golden brown and crispy oven-fried dumplings inspired by tater tots. Sweet potatoes blended with coconut powder then coated with bread crumbs for an added crispiness. These we’re a delicious little treat, and were extremely easy to put together. These dumplings with a golden, crunchy exterior and light, fluffy interior.
This is a great side dish or appetizer, best served warm
Preparation time-20 minutes
Baking time-35 minutes
- Sweet potatoes- 3 large (peeled and halved)
- Coconut flour/powder – 3 tbsp
- Potato starch/corn starch-2 tbsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper-1/2 tsp
- Panko bread crumbs-1/2 cup
- Olive oil/coconut oil- for baking
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the halved sweet potatoes into the boiling water.
- Boil the potatoes for 5-7minutes. (they wont be cooked all the way through but they will have enough cooked and soft sweet potato to help hold together)
- Drain the potatoes and let then cool until they are able to handled.
- Coarsely grated the potatoes using a grater and the transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Now to this grated potato add salt, pepper, chilli powder, potato starch, coconut powder and mix well until wel combined (and if its still not holding together feel free to add extra coconut powder/potato starch)
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg C (Fan assisted), Line a large baking tray with baking sheet-grease and set aside.
- Place the bread crumbs in a bowl or a plate and set aside.
- Start to form the dumplings by taking a scoop of sweet potato mixture into the palm and roll the mixture into an inch and half-two inch long log.
- Pinch the ends of the log until they flatten out and make the dumpling about 3/4of an inch wide.
- Continue with the remaining mixture until all the dumplings are formed.
- Roll each one in the bread crumbs and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until roasted and golden brown- flipping halfway. (baking time may vary from oven to oven)
- Allow the dumplings to cool a bit and serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
- Make sure not to over cook sweet potatoes in boiling water as it might absorb water and the mixture may go soggy
- Coconut powder add nutty flavour to the dumplings, alternatively fine desiccated coconut can also be used
- White potatoes can also be used alternatively to sweet potato
- Coating with bread crumbs are optional, I love crispy texture so coated them with crumbs