Curry leaves Squash/pumpkin rice
This rice is, Sooooo tasty, it’s simply bursting with flavors. It does taste fairly sweet and the textures are just all over the place. I especially liked the fresh flavor of curry leaves, Paired with the creaminess of the squash and bell peppers adds crunchiness to the rice, it was a definite winning combination.
Curry leaves makes your food both healthy and tasty along with pleasing aroma. They contain various antioxidant properties and have the ability to control diarrhea, gastrointestinal problems such as indigestion, excessive acid secretion, peptic ulcers, dysentery, diabetes and an unhealthy cholesterol balance. They are also believed to have cancer fighting properties and are known to help protect the liver
Preparation time: 20 minutes (includes cooking time of rice)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Brown basmati rice-1cup
- Small Squash/pumpkin-2cups (cut into bite size chunks)
- Cubed bell peppers-1medium
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Urad dal-1tsp
- Channa dal-1tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Lemon juice-to taste
To roast and grind:
- Curry leaves-1cup (rinsed and pat dried)
- Cashew nuts-2-3tbsp
- Green chillies-3
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Pepper corns-4-5
- Wash and soak rice for 30minutes. After soaking time drain and set aside.
- Boil enough water in a sauce pan, add salt, soaked, drained rice and cook for 18-20minutes or until fluffy.
- Once the rice is cooked drain- spread it on a broad dish/plate and let it cool completely. (rice can be made ahead or left over rice can also be used)
To roast and grind:
- In a pan add cashew nuts, cumin seeds, chillies, pepper corns, garlic and roast for a minute or two. Add curry leasves and saute for 3-4minutes or untul slightly changes its colour. Turn off the flame and let it cool a bit and then blend it to a coarse powder, set aside.
For squash rice:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan add mustard seeds, as it pops, add urad dal, channa dal and saute for few seconds.
- Add diced squash and cook until nearly (3/4th done), then add diced bell peppers and continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, ground curry leaves powder, salt and mix well.
- Cook until the rice coats well and is heated through.
- Turn off the flame, stir in lemon juice.
- Can substitute brown rice with white basmati rice/any rice of choice.
- Curry leaves powder can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.