Sweet potato Chickpeas Chats
Chana chat on your dinner table can be a tangy appetiser or, best, an evening snack. In any case, this chaat recipe is a perfect alternative to eating from the street side. So here is a recipe that can be served as a side dish, a starter, or simply for snack time.
I love this chat because it is SO easy and so fresh! I start with steamed sweet potatoes which are pretty much my all time favorite food. Chickpeas adds protein to the salad. I added a splash of pomegranate dressing to bring out the pomegranate flavour. The dressing is nice and light and gives the salad a little boost of flavor!
Sweet potatoes potassium content is also helpful for your heart, as it lowers blood pressure by maintaining fluid balance. They have a low glycemic index (which means they release sugar slowly into the bloodstream).
Preparation time-10 minutes
- Sweet potato- 2 medium (boiled, peeled and diced)
- Boiled chickpeas/garbanzo beans-1cup (alternatively canned can be used- rinse and wash thoroughly before using)
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Pomegranate seeds-1/2cup
- Chat masala-1/2tsp
- Black salt/salt- 1/2tsp
- Lemon juice-to taste
- Mint chutney-2tbsp
- Sweet chutney-as per taste (optional)
- Chopped fresh coriander- for garnishing
- Masala Sev
- If using dried chickpeas- rinse and soak overnight for atleast 6-8hours. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles with enough water. Drain and set aside.
- Steam cook sweet potatoes peel, dice and set aside.
Procedure for chat:
- In a mixing bowl combine sweet potato, chickpeas, onion, and pomegranate, black salt, chat masala lemon juice, mint chutney, tamarind chutney mix well until well combined.
- Divide the chat among serving bowl/plate- garnish with chopped coriander, sev and serve immediately.
- Can substitute mint chutney with fresh mint.
- Spices and proportion of chutneys can be personalised as per the taste.
- If using canned chickpeas rinse and wash thoroughly to remove the sodium content in it.