Sweet and Spicy – Puffed rice Bites
These bites are perfect for something healthy to grab while on the go — whether it be at work, school, or the great outdoors.
I’m always looking for portable snacks and treats to help keep us going a little longer, whether at school, work, travel, or play. Here’s a light, sweet, gluten-free snack that’s easy to pack. If you like breakfast bars that are made of light, puffed rice and other gluten-free grains, this recipe is for you.
Almonds, pistachio (can be easily substituted with peanuts or cashews or any nuts and seeds of choice), raw pumpkin seeds, puffed brown rice, sunflower seeds, chai seeds.
Yields – 14 to 16
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 5 minutes
- Brown puffed rice-2cups
- Sunflower seeds-1/4cup
- Pumpkin seeds-1/4cup
- Roughly sliced almonds-a handful
- Roughly chopped pistachio-a handful
- Chia seeds-2tbsp
- Maple syrup-4-5tbsp
- Almond butter-2tbsp
- Olive spread-1tbsp
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Black salt/rock salt-1tsp
- Line 8×8 baking dish with a parchment paper/baking sheet-grease and set aside.
- Combine puffed rice, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, pistachio, pumpkin seeds in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive spread, maple syrup on a medium-high flame in a small saucepan, stir in almond butter, rock salt, chilli powder and keep stirring for 1-2minutes. Turn off the flame and pour this mixture to the puffed rice mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer this mixture to the lined and greased baking dish press firmly using a spatula or a spoon and spread evenly.
- (for making shapes instead of transferring completely take a mould and place 1-2table spoon mixture in the mould press firmly and pull out the mould slowly without disturbing – repeat with remaining mixture and allow it to set)
- Once cooled completely- cover with the foil/cling film and let it set for 2-3hours.
- Once set cut into desired shape prior serving.
Or store in an airtight container
- Alternatively any olive oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil or any vegan spread can also be used instead of coconut oil.
- Rock salt can be replaced with regular table salt.
- Nuts and seeds proportion and combination can be personalised as per the taste.
Posted on March 15, 2015, in Appetizers, Breakfast, Breakfast, Indian, International, Sweets and tagged Breakfast healthy bars, Gluten free Healthy Snacks, Kids recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 38 Comments.