Pan fried and coated tofu stripes – Vegan
Tofu one always thinks it tastes bland, which can prove wrong with this recipe. If you love spices and seeds, that would be enough to allow you to fall in love with this recipe. I have made this recipe several times lately and I have to say; it is my absolutely favorite tofu recipe! It is so easy to make and the flavors are just bursting in your mouth.
To ensure you have the crispiest fries possible, be sure to blot out as much moisture from the tofu as you possibly can. Too much moisture = soggy fries, and we don’t want that!
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time- 10 minutes
- Firm tofu- 1 package (250gms)
- Corn starch/corn flour-3tbsp
- Chickpea flour-1/4cup
- Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Oil- for toasting
Mixed seeds-1/2 cup
- Place tofu block onto a few paper towel or a clean kitchen towel. Then, cover with more paper towels or another kitchen towel. Place a weight on the tofu and let it sit for 15-20 minutes to soak out the water.
For the batter:
- Whisk together chickpea flour, corn starch, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and water together in a shallow dish.
Place seeds in a plate or another shallow dish.
- Slice tofu into 8-9 strips, lengthwise, triangle or any desired shape depending on how thick you want it.
- Heat skillet grease some oil over the skillet.
- Then dip the tofu strip in the prepared batter and then roll into the seeds until coated.
- Gently place tofu on the greased skillet and toast until crisp and browned on all sides.
Serve immediately with salads/dips
- Paneer can aslo be used alternatively to tofu.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
I am bringing this recipe to Kimmy’s HVF#42