Plantain stuffed Long peppers
When it comes to starters, I love to try new things. The options for vegetarian-friendly grilling are endless. These stuffed peppers combine two of my favorite ingredients Plantains and Peppers. Plantain which is used for filling or it can be a nice light dinner served with a salad. These peppers are definitely different from jalapenos – they aren’t as spicy, and are a little sweet. So this combo makes the starter like a Tangy taste.
Preparation time-25 minutes
Cooking time- 6-8 minutes per batch
- Long peppers-3
- Bread crumbs- for topping
- Oil- for toasting
- Large plantain-1
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped garlic-2-3cloves
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lemon/lime juice- to taste
- Cut the ends of the plantain, peel, slice and steam cook plantains until tender.
- Transfer the plantain to the bowl, Let the plantain cool enough to handle and mash it in a bowl.
- Heat oil in the pan add in garlic, onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in mashed plantain, salt, chilli powder and drizzle some water (to avoid sticking to the pan) mix well and cook for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and drizzle some lemon juice, coriander and set aside.
- Wash and Cut peppers in half-length wise, remove seeds, membrane.
- Stuff each half of the peppers with plantain mixture, top each stuffed peppers with bread crumbs.
For toasting peppers:
- Heat a skillet/pan on a medium heat grease some oil to the pan and place the stuffed peppers (I did it in batches- so place as per the size of the pan) and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes/ until cooked.
Garnish with some fresh cilantro/coriander and serve.
- Cooking time varies on the type of pepper so make sure to cook on a medium flame until peppers are tender and cooked.
- Stuffing can per personalised as per the taste.
- Stuffed peppers can also be baked in the pre-heated oven at 180 deg C(Fan assisted) for 15-20 minutes.
Posted on April 10, 2015, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters. Bookmark the permalink. 22 Comments.
What an innovation!!! Fabulous Chitra 🙂
Thanks dear for your compliments
You are so endlessly imaginative!
Am so blessed to hear that from you Annie
Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.
They look very colorful and yum
Thanks dear and nice to hear from you
I also like to try new dishes and I have a vegetarian son who I know will like this one.
So nice to hear that Mary.
Love all the veggie stuff!
Thanks Resa and glad to hear from you
Looks so appetizing Chitra:-)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you V…:) 🙂
I love stuffing the veggies and this recipe is so tempting
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.
The stuffed peppers look delectable! 🙂
Very true..They were crunchy too Anugya
These seems delicious…
Thank you..Glad you liked it