Layering the crackers ensures even baking. I have added Ajwain/Carom seeds for the flavour. For a healthy version I tried baking them, and it turned out crispy.
These can be served as an appetizer/snacks
Preparation time-15 minutes
Waiting time-30 minutes
Baking time-10-12 minutes
- Wheat flour-1 1/2cup
- Oil-2tbsp +for spreading ( I used olive butter)
- Salt- to taste
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain-2tsp
- Cold water for the dough
- Sieve the flour, salt, chilli powder, carom seeds in a mixing bowl.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a small pan and add to the flour-using a spoon/spatula mix well to form crumbs.
- Add cold water little at a time and mix until everything comes together to form a dough.
- Cover/wrap with a cling film/kitchen towel and allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- After resting time divide the dough to the equal portions and roll a dough balls to 4-5 inch diameter circle and similarly rolls other 2-3 dough balls and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg (Fan assisted), line and grease the baking tray with baking sheet/foil and set aside.
- Spread olive oil/butter on the one rolled dough- place the second rolled dough and spread olive oil and place the 3rd and 4th similarly. (can do more layers if desired)
- Finally roll the layered dough circle to form a tight log and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Flatten each one with your palm and roll again into 2-3 inch diameter circle.
- Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (flipping half way).
- Once baked allow it to cool and store in an air tight container.
- Plain flour can also be used alternatively to wheat flour.
- You can include as may layers as possible as it makes more flaky.
- These can be store in an air tight container for 8-10 days.