First Blogiversary Special – Strawberry Almond Marzipan Cake (550th Post)
What’s better than a cake to celebrate my first year of Blogiversary at ‘Chitra’s Healthy Kitchen’. Today’s post is to celebrate the day hence this is different from my regular Healthy recipes.
This cake is my take of a traditional Danish summer cake with strawberries, cream and marzipan. Its one of my favorite things to eat in the summer, and I love to have it at least a couple of times each summer
Here’s what the cake looks like on the inside, layers of sponge cake whipped cream, and topped with marzipan.
Yields: 6-8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes for cake + 10 minutes for marzipan + 10 minutes for whipping
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 30-40 minutes
- Wheat/plain flour-1 1/2cup
- Baking powder-1tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Condensed milk-1tin
- Vanilla essence-1tbsp
- Vegetable oil-2-3tbsp
- Hot water- ¼-1/2cup (or as required for the batter)
- Almond- 1 cup (blanched and peeled)
- Sugar- ½-3/4cup
- Rose essence-1tbsp
- Pink colour-2drops
For whipped frosting:
- Heavy cream-200ml
- Icing sugar-2tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Strawberries-10-12 (sliced, chopped and for garnishing)
For cake batter:
- In a bowl sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Now in other bowl beat condensed milk, oil in an electric mixer/hand whisker until light and fluffy.
- Now fold in flour mixture to the condensed milk mixture, water and mix in batches until a dropping consistency batter is obtained.
- Pre-heat the oven at 170deg C (fan assisted), grease and line the baking tray and pour the prepared batter.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes/until the toothpick inserted comes out clear.
- Grind the blanched and peeled almonds to make a fine powder.
- Now in a pan add sugar, water and heat until the sugar melts and continue to boil for 4-5 minutes more/until slightly thickens.
- Allow the sugar mixture to cool a bit.
- Then stir in ground almond and mix until a stif dough is formed. If the dough is still too wet and sticky, add more powdered sugar and grond almonds. (it becomes firmer after its been refrigerated).
- Turn the almond marzipan out onto a working surface and knead it a few time.
- Add 2 drops of colour on to the marzipan and knead until colour evenly distributed
- Form it into a log, wrap it up in plastc wrap and refrigerate for sometime.
For whipped frosting:
- Place a clean bowl, and the whip attachment in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine vanilla extract, sugar, heavy cream in the chilled bowl and whip at medium speed until medium peaks form (approx. about 2 minutes)
When the preparation work is completed and it is time to assemble the cake.
- Vanilla cake
- Whipped cream
- Sugar syrup/Fresh Juice for brushing
- Using a 6 inch cake ring or a spring form pan as a guide, cut two circles out of the cake.
- First layer: Place one slice of the cake on the cake circles and brush some sugar syrup.
- Second layer: Top it with a layer of whipped frosting
- Third layer: Top with a layer of chopped strawberries
- Fourth layer: Place the second layer of the cake on top of the strawberry layer.
- Refrigerate the cake for 2 hours before topping with marzipan.
- Meanwhile: Before placing marzipan apply a thin layer of whipped cream on top and sides.
- Fifth layer: Dust some powdered sugar as needed to prevent sticking of the marzipan. Using rolling pin roll the marzipan to thin sheet and carefully place the marzipan layer over the cake and trim the edges.
- Top it with fresh strawberries
- Marzipan can be stored in the refrigerator for atleast 15-20 days. So it can be made ahead of time.
- Frosting and decorations can be personalised.
- Sugar syrup can be made by boiling sugar (3 tbsp) in water (1/4 cup) until melted