Apple ring pancakes drizzled with chocolate: Guest Post for Vidya
It was a great honour for me to do a toddler guest for my blogger friend Vidya, who blogs at Traditionally Modern Food. She has an amazing blog and love her recipes, which she brings from her childhood.
V is been supportive in my journey and she takes time to visit and leave a feedback for each of my post. Please check my post on her blog Apple Pancakes
About this recipe:
For an adorable twist on the usual pancake recipe, whip up these delicious apple ring pancakes. Slice fresh apples — any variety will work. The taste? Well it’s a bit donut-ty (yes really, try it!), it’s soft and pillowy. They cook just like regular pancakes, and the apples soften slightly, so when you take your first bite, the apple is slightly crisp but oh so warm and juicy. There’s the perfect amount of sweetness.
These were drizzled with chocolate syrup as kids love chocolates and sliced almonds and pistachio. These are also great for a dessert if you wanted to serve them with ice cream.
Apples are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to keep your little ones healthy. Carbohydrates provide children with the energy they need to work and play. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends carbohydrate sources that contain dietary fiber and no added sugars making apples an excellent choice. Apples contain the same amount of fiber as a bowl of bran cereal and probably appeal to your child’s taste buds a little bit more.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time- 5 minutes per batch
- Oil- for toasting
For the batter:
- Gram flour/besan-3/4cup
- Corn starch-3-4tbsp
- Any milk of choice-1/2 to 3/4cup (or more as required for the batter)
- Salt-a pinch
- Baking powder-1/4tsp
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Honey/maple syrup-2-3tbsp
- Cooking chocolate-100gms
- Chopped nuts/Sprinklers (Optional)
For the batter:
- In a large bowl combine besan flour, corn starch, salt, baking powder and set aside.
- In other bowl whisk yogurt, milk, vanilla essence until frothy.
- Now stir in yogurt mixture to the flour mixture until a smooth batter obtained(add extra milk/yogurt if required)
- Wash the apples thoroughly- pat dry and Slice the into slices which are 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a circle cookie cutters remove centre of the apple –the core and seeds.
- Brush some lemon juice and set aside on a paper towels to dry.
For cooking apple rings:
- Heat a non-stick pan/skillet on a medium heat, spray the griddle and then Dip each apple rings in the batter and rub to fully cover it.
- Transfer to the pre-heated griddle and cook as you would do a regular pancakes.
- Flip and cook on the other side and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with all the apple slices and serve with some honey/nuts
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler/microwave and drizzle over panckes.
- Top with some chopped nuts/sprinkler and serve.
- Batter has to be thick enough to coat the apples.