Mushroom Plantain wraps
Plantain and mushrooms are nicely flavoured with cheese in these delectable wraps. For an easy meal, serve with colourful salad. This combo of plantain, mushroom makes an incredible taste explosion
I have always swooned over plantains with their sticky sweet, starchy flavour and texture, like a cross between a sweet potato, banana and own unique hearty, exotic flavour.
Plantains are a good source of fiber, vitamins A and C, potassium and are about 220 calories each. The sweet flavour is remarkable.
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes +10 minutes for wraps
- Wheat flour tortillas-6 ( Recipe Link)
- Medium button mushrooms- 500gms (cleaned and sliced)
- Raw plantain-1medium
- Diced red onion-1 medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2medium
- Crushed Garlic- 2 -3 cloves
- Chilli powder/paprika-1/2tsp
- Ground cinnamon-1/4tsp
- Crushed black pepper-to taste
- Salt- to taste
- Mozzarella cheese – as desired
- Lettuce leaves/ any salad
- Clean and slice mushrooms.
- Peel , chop plantains and place it in a bowl of water until required (plantains tends to change its colour so placed in water helps to prevent discolouration)
- Heat oil in a saucepan; Add in crushed garlic, onion saute for a minute or so.
- Add tomatoes and saute until mushy.
- Add plantains and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes more.
- Stir in chilli powder, ground cinnamon, crushed black pepper, salt and cook until the raw flavour goes off and coats well with veggies.
- Heat a skillet and place the flour tortillas on the hot skillet and heat for few seconds flip and then warm for another few seconds.
- Repeat with all other Tortillas.
- Place generous handful of leafy greens/salads on the warm tortillas.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoon of plantain-mushroom mixture.
- Drizzle some cheese, wrap them up and serve immediately.
- Combination of the vegetables and fillings can be personalised as per the taste.
- I used home made tortilla but you can use store bought tortillas alternatively.