Badam orange halwa
Yes its one of the most delicious, rich and drool worthy Indian sweet. You can easily flatter your guest by serving them home made badam halwa. 🙂
This halwa uses almond meal and coconut milk to create an extra creamy texture, and is flavoured with orange juice and sweetened with dates. I used what I had on hand, but I imagine if you had some vanilla it would work well here, I used cardamom to flavour this along with orange.
Preparation time-5 minutes
Cooking time-15-20 minutes
Soaking time-6 hours
- Any milk of choice-3/4 (adjust as per the consistency)
- Dates paste-1/4cup
- Fresh orange juice-from 3 large juicy oranges (approx. 3/4cup)
- Ground cardamom-1/4tsp
- Sunflower spread/butter-1tbsp
- Chopped nuts
- Soak almonds with enough water for 5-6 hours or overnight. Drain and de-skin the almonds. (To do this press each almond between a thumb and forefinger and slide to remove the skin)
- Place the skinless almonds in blender/food processor and blend to a coarse paste (if required add some milk while blending)
- Add sunflower spread in a heavy bottom pan, add the ground almond paste and keep stirring constantly to prevent it from burning.
- Add the rest of the milk to the paste and cook until the most of the moisture in it dries up only then add orange juice by constantly stirring, add dates syrup stir well.
- Cook until it start to come away from the sides of the pan and the other thing is you can notice is when the halwa no longer sticks to the sides of the pan.
- Stir in some cardamom powder, take off the flame.
- Garnish with nuts and serve hot orange almond halwa.
- Sweetness can be adjusted as per the taste of the orange.
- Orange adds sweet and mild tanginess to the halwa, make sure to use juicy and sweet oranges.
- Brown sugar or any sweetener can be used alternatively to dates paste
- I used coconut milk in this recipe alternatively regular milk can also be used.
- Sunflower spread can be substituted with clarified butter/ghee.
Posted on June 3, 2015, in Indian, Sweets, Vegan and tagged almond dates halwa, india festival sweets., indian low-fat halwa, indian sugar free sweets, no-sugar badam halwa, orange halwa, Top 5 Fruit sweets, vegan badam halwa. Bookmark the permalink. 32 Comments.