Home made – Herbed Paneer/Cottage Cheese
About: Making homemade paneer is so easy that you can make it within minutes and once you start making your own homemade paneer, you just do not feel like buying from stores. Cottage cheese has mild taste, soft, and snowy white in color. It looks creamy and chunky, especially when curds are large. It is made from curdled fresh milk; then strained and seasoned with desired herbs. Paneer is used in a variety of Indian recipes ranging from appetizers, to main entrees as well as desserts. It is also added in Lasagne, Stuffed manicotti, Jello salads, shake drink and granola.
Health benefits: Cottage cheese is healthy to eat as part of a balanced diet, and provides a source of several essential nutrients. Because cottage cheese is packed with muscle-building protein and unbelievably low-fat, bodybuilders and weightlifters favourite cottage cheese as important ingredient to snacks, meals and desserts. As a milk product, cottage cheese has high-calcium content. It is so healthy that more pregnant women preferred it over other calcium-rich foods.
Cooking time-5 minutes
Waiting time – 4 to 6 hours
- Organic milk- 2 Ltrs (4 Pint)
- Vinegar- 2-3 tbsp (more or less as required for curdling)
- Kasuri methi-1 tsp
- Roughly Crushed Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Chilli flakes-1/2 tsp
- Place a large piece of cheese cloth over a mesh or a colander and set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring the milk to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning the bottom.
- Once the milk begins to rise, reduce the flame to low add vinegar, spices and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes for milk to completely curdle.
- Pour the curdled milk into the prepared cheesecloth over a strainer, pass some tap water to remove the vinegar and slowly gather the corners of the cloth and twist to squeeze out as much whey as you can.
- Once the most of the whey has been squeezed, gently untwist the cheesecloth and wrap and place a container or some weight to drain out the excess water for 2-3 hours.
- After 2 hours place the wrapped paneer in a air tight container and refrigerate for minimum of 2 hours or preferably overnight for the paneer to solidify.
- Cut into cubes and use with your favourite dishes
- I used vinegar alternatively lemon/lime juice can be used.
- Make sure the milk is boiled on a medium flame to prevent the milk from burning.
- I used semi-skimmed milk and so the quantity of paneer is less; Quantityy will may vary depending on the type of milk used.
- Whole milk can also be used
- Spices can be customized
- Spices to be skipped while making desserts
Posted on June 2, 2015, in Indian, Main dish, Starters and tagged DIY herbed cottage, herbed paneer, Homamde Panner, home made paneer/cottage cheese using vinegar, indian cottage cheese, Low fat Panner home made, Making Panner at home. Bookmark the permalink. 49 Comments.