Tofu Mushroom Pulao
Mushroom tofu pulao Recipe is a great way to use up leftover rice while creating a tasty dinner for two flavored with garlic,ginger and mint. The brown rice earthy flavor combines perfectly with crispy tofu, soft mushrooms, traditional whole spices which makes it aromatic.
Mushrooms, though classified as vegetables in the food world, are not technically plants. They belong to the fungi kingdom and although they are not vegetables, mushrooms provide several important nutrients.
Mushrooms are naturally low in sodium, fat, cholesterol, and calories and have often been referred to as “functional foods.” In addition to providing basic nutrition, they help prevent chronic disease due to the presence of antioxidants
Preparation time-20 minutes
Waiting time-20-30 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Brown basmathi rice- 1 1/2cup
- Mushrooms- 1cup (cleaned and sliced)
- Chopped onion-1 medium
- Cinnamon-1inch stick
- Bay leaf-1
- Kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves-1tsp
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Green chillies-3-4
- Fresh mint leaves- a handful
- Chopped tomato-1 medium
For preparing Tofu:
- Firm tofu-1/2paackage (100gms) – cubed, patted down with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Corn starch-1tbsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4tsp
- Salt- a pinch
- Oil-for toasting
- Wash and rinse rice thoroughly and soak for 20-30 minutes, after soaking time drain and set aside.
- Bring enough water to boil in a saucepan and add soaked and drained rice, 1/4tsp salt and cook until fluffy for about 15-18 minutes. Once cooked drain and allow the rice to cool completely.
- Combine ginger, garlic, green chillies, mint leaves in a blender/food processor, tomato and grind to fine paste.
- In a small bowl add turmeric, chilli powder, corn starch, salt, add water and whisk to form a smooth dropping consistency paste.
- Coat the tofu with the prepared paste.
- Heat a large non-stick pan or wok over medium high heat, brush some oil and place the coated tofu and toast both the sides until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the fennel seeds, bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and saute for few seconds.
- Now add onion, ground paste and saute for 2-3minutes or until the raw flavour goes off.
- Add sliced mushrooms and saute for another 2-3minutes or until tender.
- Now add cooked rice, salt, mix well and simmer for 4-5minutes/until heated through.
- Turn off the flame top with toasted tofu.
- Serve hot with choice of:
Posted on May 26, 2015, in Indian, Main dish, Vegan and tagged brown rice mushromm pulao, brown rice tofu pulao, mushroom pilaf, mushroom pulao, Tofu indian pulao, tofu pilaf, vegan pulao. Bookmark the permalink. 7 Comments.