Lentils/Dals Spinach Dhokla
Authentic version of Dhokla uses rice and bengal gram or urad dal which are soaked overnight, ground to a batter, spiced up with ginger. Here I tried healthy version with lentils – Green Moong Dal, yellow moong dal and Red lentils.
Green gram dal and moong dal are both derived from the mature mung bean. High in fiber as well as other nutrients, green gram dal is a low-fat source of protein.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Soaking time-5-6 hours
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Yellow moong- 1/2cup
- Green moong beans/whole green gram-1/4cup
- Red lentils- 1/4cup
- Chopped Spinach -1cup
- Ginger-1/2inch piece
- Green chillies-2-3
- Salt- to taste
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Lemon juice-1tbsp
- Oil- for brushing
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- White sesame seeds-2tsp
- Split green chillies-2 (use only if you are a spice lover)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
- Wash and soak green gram, yellow moong, red lentils for atleast 5-6hours. After soaking time rinse again and drain thoroughly.
- Combine soaked and drained dal with ginger, spinach, chillies and ground to a semi coarse paste (add a little water at a time while blending)
- Meanwhile heat little water in a large pan.
- Once the batter is ready, add salt, baking soda, lemon juice mix well and set aside for 5-10 minutes
- Grease the 7 or 8” vessel or cake pan, pour the batter and place the pan in the pan- steam cook for 12-15 minutes /until the tooth pick inserted comes out clear.
- Heat oil in a small pan add mustard seeds as it crackle, add sesame seeds saute for few seconds.
- Add the green chillies. curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for few more seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly on top.
- Cut into pieces and serve hot with Mint Chutney.
- Make sure not to add more water while grinding.
- And the batter should not be too thick OR too thin.
Posted on May 27, 2015, in Indian, Starters, Vegan and tagged gluten free Dhokla, healthy Dhokla, healthy easy indian starter, Instant dhokla, mixed dal dhokla, moong bean dhokla, Moong dal dhokla, no-fermenting dhokla, red lentils/masoor dal dhokla, spinach/palak Dhokla, steamed indian easy starter, steamed lentil dhokla, vegan dhokla, yogurt free dhokla. Bookmark the permalink. 33 Comments.