Tomatoes in Onion gravy – Low oil
This recipe is very delicious and a excellent side dish with low oil. Tomatoes are cooked in a nutty –onion sauce with the blend of spices. Consuming tomatoes lower the risks of cancers.
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Chopped onion-3 number
- Tomato-4-5 number
- Peanuts-2 tbsp
- red chilli-4-5
- sesame seeds-1 tbsp
- pepper corns-6-7
- fennel seeds-1 tsp
- coriander seeds-1 tsp
- tamarind pulp-2 tbsp
- turmeric-1/4 tsp
- chopped coriander- a handful
- Wash tomatoes, pat dry and slit each tomato to two and set aside.
- Dry roast peanuts in a pan and set aside.
- Add oil in the same pan add fennel seeds, coriander seeds, red chilli, sesame seeds, pepper corns and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, turmeric, salt and saute until the onions are translucent, turn off the flame and allow it to cool down
- then combine peanuts and sauted mixture in a food processor and ground to a smooth paste.
- Now add this ground paste in a non-stick pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring in between.
- Add slit tomatoes, tamarind pulp, water as per the consistency and simmer until the tomatoes are cooked.
- As the gravy thickens and tomatoes are cooked turn off the flame .
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
Serve hot with:
Posted on May 25, 2015, in Indian, Side dish and tagged biryani gravy, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Low calorie indian gravies, low-oil vegan gravy, Onion tomato gravy for biryanis. Bookmark the permalink. 46 Comments.