Roasted Vegetables pulao
Vegetable pulao is delicious, flavourful dish which is an easy and healthy way to indulge vegetables. This pulao recipe is unlike other pulao recipes just that are roasted vegetables instead of cooking it along with rice. Oven roasted vegetables have a unique flavour and crunchiness. However it can be customized with your favourite vegetables.
It is a easy lunch recipe with mixed roasted vegetables, perfect for lunch box and as one pot meal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Brown rice/any rice of choice-2cups
- Julienned Carrots-2medium
- Julienned Parsnip-1 medium
- Sliced Bell peppers-1medium
- Sliced Zucchini/Courgette -2small
- Peas – ½ cup
- Chopped Onion-1medium
- Chopped Tomato-1medium
- Low fat Coconut milk-1cup
- Water-3 cups
- Salt- to taste
- Crushed ginger-1 tsp
- Crushed garlic-3 cloves
- Crushed/minced Green chilies-2
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Cinnamon-2” stick
- Pepper corns-5-6
- Star anise-1-2petals
- Bay leaf-1
- Ground nutmeg-small pinch
- Wash and drain rice and set aside until required.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg C.
- Spread carrot, parsnips, bell peppers, zucchini and onion on the baking tray/ baking dish (I haven’t used any oil for roasting, can be included if desired)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (or more if you like your veggies more roasted)
- Meanwhile heat oil in a thick bottomed pan add bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise petals and stir for few seconds.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chillies and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the drained rice and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, peas and water. Bring it to boil.
- Add salt, nutmeg powder and reduce heat to low-medium and cook covered with lid.
- Once rice is cooked add in roasted vegetables mix and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Cauliflower/broccoli/potato or any vegetables of choice can be included for variation.
- Spices can be personalized as per the taste.