Oats and Poha/Avalakki/Beaten rice – Upma/Spicy porridge
Savory oats, wheat porridge in breakfast to start our mornings healthy and wholesome! It should have a good balance of nutrients and a healthy dose of protein.
I’vemade this morning breakfast with half Oats and half rice flakes.
Oatmeal is a whole grain, and eating whole grains can lower your risk for several diseases, including high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. Oatmeal also contains lignans, a plant chemical that has been found to prevent heart disease. Eating oatmeal can lower your cholesterol, especially your LDL, or “bad” cholesterol.
Flattened rice contains no cholesterol and saturated fat at all. Also, the sodium content is very less and thus the calories in the beaten rice are not harmful. Moreover, it contains nutrients like iron, vitamin C, vitamin A and calcium too.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Waiting time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Poha/ beaten rice /avalakki-1cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped carrot-1/2cup
- Frozen peas/broad beans-1/2cup
- Slit green chillies-2-3
- Curry leaves-2sprigs
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Channa dal/split chickpeas-2tsp
- Urad dal-1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Turmeric-a generous pinch
- Salt and lemon juice- to taste
- Chopped cilantro/coriander-for garnishing
- Dry roast oats for 3-4minutes/until slightly golden in colour and set aside.
- Put beaten rice in a food processor and whiz once or twice to coarsely crush (make sure not to whiz more as it turns to powder).
- Wash the beaten rice/avalakki couple of times, drain off the water and allow the rice to absorb water retained during washing. (it should swell and soften in 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, as it splutters add cumin seeds, urad, channa dal and saute for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves, split chillies, onion and saute for a minute or two.
- Now add carrots, peas/broad beans, salt, turmeric and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 3/4cup water and let it come to boil.
- Add oats and cook for 2-3 minutes/until water evaporates.
- Now add softened beaten rice mix gently and cook on a low flame until heated through.
- Turn off the flame, squeeze lemon juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with Riata/yogurt dips.
- I used regular rolled oats, as oats absorbs water faster so make sure to cook on a medium flame.
- Extra water can be added to adjust the consistency.