Spiced Onion rings on Tawa Or Oven
I have been craving onion rings and tried this variant. These were AMAZING because they truly tasted like the real deal.
To enhance the taste, I added fresh Italian seasoning to give the rings a peppy, lively flavour and some cayenne pepper to give spicy kick. They are perfect with the dipping sauce.
Be sure to top with some fresh herbs too (If desired).
Yields: 2-3 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time- 5-8 minutes/batch
Baking time-15-20 minutes
- White onions-2 large
- Olive oil/oil spray –for baking/cooking
- Plain flour-3-4tbsp
- Corn starch-2tbsp
- Low fat yogurt-1/2 cup (add water about ¼th-1/3rd cup as required to make a thick butter milk consistency)
- Salt-to taste
- Paprika/chilli powder-1/2-1tsp(as spice preferred)
- Fresh/dry thyme-2tsp
- Dry flour- for dipping
- Wash and slice onions and cut into rings about 1/3”thick, dry each slice by blotting with paper towel.
- Place a dry flour
- In a shallow bowl Combine plain flour, corn starch, salt, chilli powder/paprika and add thick butter milk slowly mixing well until a dropping consistency batter is obtained.
- Dip the onion slices n the dry flour bowl (bowl 1)
- And then dip the flour coated onion rings into the batter and flip to coat completely.
- Tap gently to drip off the excess batter.
For cooking on stove top:
- Heat a skillet/pan on a medium low heat, drizzle some oil and place the batter dipped onion rings and make sure not to crown the pan and work in batches.
- Shallow fry until golden, flipping occasionally about 4-5 minutes. (make sure to cook on a medium heat as it helps even cooking)
- Repeat with the remaining rings
- Pre-heat the oven at 220deg C (Fan assisted), line the baking tray with foil/baking sheet-spread some oil to grease the sheet and set aside.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes (flipping halfway) or until browned on both sides.
- Can retain the tomato slices without removing the pulp and follow same to make coated slices
- Alternatively green tomatoes can be used.
- Make sure the tomatoes are firm and slices are thick.
Posted on July 2, 2015, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters and tagged battered onion rings, Eggless Onion Rings, no oven onion rings, pan cooked onion rings.., styling onion rings. Bookmark the permalink. 31 Comments.