Doodhi Apple Halwa
This is my ‘creation’- I used apple just to reduce the quantity of added sweetener. Your entire house smells aromatic with the flavour of apple and bottle gourd during the cooking time, and lingers afterwards too. This would be so yummy when served cold OR served warm over ice cream!.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Doodhi/lauki/bottle gourd- 1 1/2cup (peeled and grated)
- Grated apple-2 (I used with skin)
- Milk powder-1/4cup
- Warm Milk-1/2cup
- Sunflower spread/butter-1tbsp (can replace with reqular butter)
- Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
- Roughly chopped Mixed Roasted nuts ( I used almonds, cashew)
- In a small bowl dissolve milk powder in milk and set aside.
- Heat sunflower spread in a pan, add the grated doodhi, apple and cook for 10-12 minutes OR until the moisture evaporates stirring occasionally.
- Now add the dissolved milk powder along with milk, stevia sugar and simmer until the milk evaporates by stirring occasionally (or the milk solids tend to stick the bottom of the pan).
- Once the milk is reduced and all moisture evaporates and once it starts leaving the sides of the pan (approx. 8-10 minutes), turn off the flame
- Finally stir in cardamom powder.
- Garnish with roasted nuts and serve hot or cold.
- Stevia can be replaced with sugar/any sweetener of choice
- Sweetness can be personalised as per the taste.
- Here the apple I used was sweet and juicy so feel free to adjust the sweetness as per the taste.