Savoury diamond cuts/shankarpali/crackers – Baked
Thin, crispy, lightly salted crackers made from whole wheat flour are perfect for dipping or just eating the Toasted Whole Grain Crunch one right after the other.
Crackers are one of my favorite snack foods because they are so versatile. There is at least one kind of cracker out there that will go with every dip, sauce or salsa that you could imagine and they’re a great snack on their own. This is a very simple recipe that you can put all kinds of flavor twists on with a few spices and herbs, and you can have homemade crackers in less time than it takes to go to the store.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 12-15 minutes
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour-1/4 cup
- Fine semolina-2-3tbsp
- Olive oil butter/Butter-2tbsp
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain-1tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1tsp (Optional)
- Salt-1/4tsp/to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 160 deg C (Fan assisted); line the baking tray and set aside.
- Combine wheat flour, rice flour, semolina, salt, chilli powder, chaat masala, honey, carom seeds in a bowl add olive oil butter and mix to form crumbs.
- Then sprinkle little water at a time and knead to form soft dough. Cover the dough with damp cloth and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide to golf ball sized portions and roll out each portion to 4-5” diameter circle and cut into small diamond/square shapes.
- Separate the pieces and arrange them on a baking tray and bake it in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes at 160 deg C.
- Check to see if they are crisp, if not done bake for five more minutes and then transfer the diamond cuts on to the cooling rack to cool down to room temperature.
- Once cooled completely enjoy immediately or can store in a airtight container upto a week.
- Alternatively it can be deep fried
- Cumin seeds can be used alternatively to carom seeds
- Spices can be persolised
Posted on November 6, 2015, in Indian, Starters and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Festival snacks, Healthy Savoury recipes, Indian savoury recipes, Indian savoury snacks, Savoury baked snacks, Tea time baked snacks. Bookmark the permalink. 48 Comments.