Steamed tomato basil soup: (zero butter/oil)
One of my favorite comfort dishes is tomato soup paired with a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with cucumber and a tomato slices. This is a tomato based thick variety soup served hot. This tomato soup is low in calories with full of flavors and taste which satisfy your taste buds
Tomato soup comes packed with beneficial lycopene — a red-hued nutrient that gives the soup its color. Lycopene offers powerful antioxidant protection, which means that it seeks out and neutralizes reactive oxygen species, a type of molecule linked to the aging process.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Vine tomatoes-6-7 medium
- Diced white onion-1 medium
- Fresh basil-1 cup
- Chopped Garlic cloves-2
- Crushed pepper-1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Red chilli flakes-1/2 tsp (or as spice preferred)
- Vegetable broth-2 cups
- Low-fat coconut milk-1 cup
- Steam cook tomatoes, onion, garlic in a steamer for 6-8 minutes/until tender the skin of tomatoes starts peeling off.
- When the tomatoes are warm enough handle- peel off the skin and set aside.
- Place steamed tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil in a blender/food processor and blend to smooth puree.
- Now transfer the ground puree to a large saucepan, add vegetable broth and bring it to boil.
- Once it comes to boil, reduce the flame to medium and Add coconut milk, chilli flakes, and continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Once it reaches the desired consistency, season with ground pepper, salt and serve warm.
- Tomatoes can be roasted instead of steaming .
- For more creamy texture feel free to use fesh cream.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
Posted on November 13, 2015, in Indian and tagged basil soup recipes, easy soup recipes, economical soup. ., food photography, healthy no cream soup, low calorie soup, quick to make soup, tomato soup. Bookmark the permalink. 41 Comments.