Mixed sprouts – Pulao
Love Indian flavors, easy cooking and banging nutrition? This recipe is a keeper! This is brown rice with sprouts with a lot of aromatic indian spices . It warms you up from the inside out, it’s easy to make and each serving is loaded with fiber, protein and vitamins.
This can be served as one pot meal which can be served for anytime of day.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Soaking time-1 hour
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Brown basmathi rice-1 cup (soaked for an hour and drained thoroughly)
- Water-2 cups
- Mixed sprouts-3/4 cup (Brown lentils, Black Channa, Green Moong)
- Slit Green chillies-2 -3 (or as per the spice preferred)
- Crushed ginger-1 tsp
- Crushed garlic-2 cloves
- Cinnamon stick-1 inch
- Bay leaf-1
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro/coriander-a handful
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, garlic, ginger and fry for few seconds.
- And then add onion, slit green chillies and fry until onions are translucent.
- Now add sprouts, methi/fenugreek leaves and saute on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add soaked and drained brown rice and saute for a minutes or two.
- Add 2cups of water, salt turmeric, coriander powder mix well.
- Bring it to boil, once it starts boiling, cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on a medium low flame for 2-3 whistels (if using white basmathi 1-2 whistels will do)
- Once the pressure is out, open the lid of the cooker and mix gently.
- Dish out, garnish with the coriander leaves
Serve hot with
- Spices can be personalised as per the the taste
- Brown basmathi rice can be substituted to white basmathi/any rice of choice.
- Water proportion can be altered as per the consistency of rice preferred.
- White rice cooks fastes than brown rice so if using white rice then it can be done for 1-2 whistles or can also be cooked in a kadai or sauce pan instead of using pressure cooker.
Posted on November 16, 2015, in Indian, Main Course and tagged Brown rice recipes, easy lunch ideas, healthy pulao recipe, lunch box ideas, multi bean rice, one pot meal, protein rich rice, simple healthy pulao, sprouts recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 34 Comments.