Omega rich Bottle gourd Korma/Kurma
This thick korma (gravy) is pure comfort made with tender chunks of bottle gourd with an amazing Omega rich seeds. The chunks are simmered slowly to create a revelation in your mouth. Korma is enhanced by the flavour of tempered onion and cumin seeds.
Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion. It is cooling, calming, diuretic and anti-bilious. It is extremely popular for weight loss especially its juice. Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and keeping your heart healthy. It is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients.
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Diced bottle gourd-2cups
- Diced onion-1medium
- Salt- to taste
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Chopped coriander- to garnish
- Pumpkin seeds -1tbsp
- Sunflower seeds – 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds-2tbsp
- Melon seeds-2tbsp
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Desiccated coconut-2tbsp
- Chopped Green chillies-3 (or as per taste)
- Chopped ginger-1/2inch
- Chopped garlic-2cloves
- Fresh Coriander – a handful (stems included)
- Dry roast Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Melon seeds, desiccated coconut for 2-3 minutes and then allow it to cool a bit. Then blend it to smooth paste along with onion, coriander, ginger, garlic, green chillies by adding some water if required while blending.
- Heat 2cups of water in a pot or a saucepan and place a colander/steam mesh and steam diced bottle gourd for 8-10 minutes/ until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds as it splutters add onion and saute until translucent.
- Now add ground paste and cook for 4-5 minutes on a medium high flame.
- Then add in salt, turmeric, water as per the consistency mix well and continue to cook on a low flame and bring it to boil.
- Now add steamed bottle gourd and cook until coated well in the gravy and heated through.
- Turn off the flame and then garnish with coriander
Posted on November 19, 2015, in Indian and tagged bottle gourd recipes, bottle gourd/guard recipes, chapathi or roti accompaniment..., doodhi kurma, dosa accompaniment, healthy curry recipes, kootu recipes, omega rich kurma, sesame seeds kurma, sorekayi kootu, watermelon seeds bottle gourd kurma. Bookmark the permalink. 32 Comments.