Desi style Cookies
Posted by Chitra Jagadish
Christmas is around the corner and the first thing on everyone’s mind is Christmas cookies. Now, the problem could be which kind of cookie to go for.
The cookies are “melting moments”. They are expected to be crunchy and crumbly but melt in your mouth at the same time. Here is a recipe that is a favorite during the winter holidays cookies that are egg-less. These cookies have a surprise secret ingredient that I have never seen in a cookie recipe before-cornstarch!
Preparation time-10 minutes
Baking time-16-18 minutes
- Wheat flour-3/4cup
- Powdered poha/beaten rice-1/4cup
- Rice flour-2-3tbsp
- Corn starch-1/4cup
- Powdered brown sugar-1/4cup (adjust as per the sweet preffered)
- Sunflower spread/butter-3-4tbsp
- Milk-3-4tbsp (or as required for the dough)
- Powdered cardamom-1/4tsp
- Salt- 1/4tsp
- Chopped pistachio- for topping
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan assisted); lined a pan with baking paper and set aside
- Mix spread/butter, sugar, salt on medium speed using a hand whisk until creamy in the bowl.
- Add in cardamom powder, cornstarch, powdered poha, rice flour, wheat flour.
- Mix to from crumbles, now add a tablespoon of milk at a time until a dough consistency is obtained.
- Scoop 1 tbsp dough at a time and roll into a ball, and flatten them between the palms, drizzle some chopped pistachio and place cookie balls on lined baking paper
- Bake about 16 – 18 minutes (until bottoms get light golden color )
- Remove from the oven, cool a few minutes and while cookies are still warm roll them in powdered and let them on a wire rack to cool completely and then roll them in powdered sugar once again, to coat them generously.
If ypu feel the dough is crumbly, just drizzle some milk while forming a cookie balls and then pat it into desired shapes. ..
- I used medium poha and whizzed it in a food processor/mixer until powder
About Chitra JagadishMy passion is Cooking & love exploring healthy recipes. This blog is all about sharing 'Recipes for Healthy living', which are my experiments at home.
Posted on December 15, 2015, in Indian and tagged breakfast cookies, brown sugar cookies, Christmas recipes, corn starch cookies, poha cookies, quick to make cookies, rice flour cookies, sunflower spread cookies, Whole wheat cookies. Bookmark the permalink. 30 Comments.