Ridge gourd lentil dal
This dish is warming, comforting, and nutritious, and I could probably eat it every day. This version is simple and easy (which is common in Indian cooking and adds a tremendous amount of flavor and depth to the dish) here I flavoured the dal just with garlic. Strangely enough, once you add the lentils to the pot, the key is not stirring them until the end; if you leave the lentils alone they’ll develop a wonderful creaminess as they becomes tender and begin to break down.
Replacing one or more meals per week with vegetarian options such as beans and lentils can improve your health. Beans and lentils offer protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber with no added fat or cholesterol. Beans and lentils also count toward your daily vegetable servings to support good health.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes to 1hour
- Masoor dal/red lentil-1/2 cup
- Moong dal/ yellow dal-1/2 cup
- Peel and chopped ridgegourd-1 cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2
- Crushed garlic-3cloves
- Salt- to taste
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Dried red chillies-2-3
- For garnishing:
- Chopped Fresh cilantro/coriander-a handful
- Wash 3-4 time yellow moong and masoor dal and soak for 1-2 hours.
- Drain and rinse and set aside.
- In a sauce pan add the washed and soaked dals, onion, garlic, ridge gourd, tomato and cook for 18-20minutes or until the dals and veggies are cooked completely.
- Meanwhile prepare a seasoning – heat oil in a pan add in mustard seeds as it splutters, add cumin seeds, red chillies and pour the seasoning on the dal.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander
- Any lentils/beans can be used as a variation.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
Posted on January 25, 2016, in Indian and tagged beerekaye dal, chapathi -roti accompaniment, drch dal recipes, drch sides recipes, eerekaye dal, healthy accompaniment., indian dal recipes, Low oil dal recipes, masoor dal recipes, moong dal recipes, protein rich accompaniment, red lentils recipes, ridge gourd dal, Ridge gourd recipes, simple dal, yellow lentils recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 43 Comments.