Tofu Matar\Green peas masala
A non-dairy variation of the traditional Matar Paneer, using tofu along with peas in a light, delicately seasoned sauce which is simmered with tomatoes, onions and hand-roasted spices.
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Preparation time: 20-25 mins
• Green peas-1cup (fresh or frozen)
• Diced onion-1 medium + (finely chopped -1num –optional)
• Diced toamtoes-1cup
• Whole garam masala-(clove-2num, cinnamon-1/2inch stick, cardamom-1, bay leaf-1/2, aniseed-1/2)
• (alternatively you can use garam masala-2tsp)
• Kashmiri Red Chilli powder-1tsp
• Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
• Saunf/ fennel seeds-1/2tsp
• Coriander powder-1/2tsp
• Squeeze out water as much as possible from tofu without crumbling it.
• Heat 1tbsp oil in a non-stick pan and fry tofu cubes for around 3-5minutes each side/ until browned on all sides and set aside.
• In a pan saute diced onion, ginger- garlic, tomatoes, whole garam masala, fennel seeds for few minutes; allow it to cool down. (haven’t used any extra oil while sauting)
• Once it cools down grind it to a smooth paste and set aside.
• Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauce pan add in finely chopped onions saute till it slightly translucent, then add blended onion-tomato paste and saute.
• Add dry ingredients- red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and stir till fragrant and dissolved.
• Add peas, tofu and stir well until coated.
• Let it simmer until bubbles and keep stirring in between to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
• Remove from fire
Serve hot with Roti/ Kulcha/ Naan.
• If you feel there is still moisture in tofu hang it in the muslin cloth for 2-3hours.
• I used fresh tomatoes in this recipe but you can use canned tomatoes
• You can just use onion only for blending if you don’t like onion while biting.
• You can use cumin seeds instead of fennel seeds.