Tofu Matar\Green peas masala
A non-dairy variation of the traditional Matar Paneer, using tofu along with peas in a light, delicately seasoned sauce which is simmered with tomatoes, onions and hand-roasted spices.
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Preparation time: 20-25 mins
• Green peas-1cup (fresh or frozen)
• Diced onion-1 medium + (finely chopped -1num –optional)
• Diced toamtoes-1cup
• Whole garam masala-(clove-2num, cinnamon-1/2inch stick, cardamom-1, bay leaf-1/2, aniseed-1/2)
• (alternatively you can use garam masala-2tsp)
• Kashmiri Red Chilli powder-1tsp
• Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
• Saunf/ fennel seeds-1/2tsp
• Coriander powder-1/2tsp
• Squeeze out water as much as possible from tofu without crumbling it.
• Heat 1tbsp oil in a non-stick pan and fry tofu cubes for around 3-5minutes each side/ until browned on all sides and set aside.
• In a pan saute diced onion, ginger- garlic, tomatoes, whole garam masala, fennel seeds for few minutes; allow it to cool down. (haven’t used any extra oil while sauting)
• Once it cools down grind it to a smooth paste and set aside.
• Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauce pan add in finely chopped onions saute till it slightly translucent, then add blended onion-tomato paste and saute.
• Add dry ingredients- red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and stir till fragrant and dissolved.
• Add peas, tofu and stir well until coated.
• Let it simmer until bubbles and keep stirring in between to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
• Remove from fire
Serve hot with Roti/ Kulcha/ Naan.
• If you feel there is still moisture in tofu hang it in the muslin cloth for 2-3hours.
• I used fresh tomatoes in this recipe but you can use canned tomatoes
• You can just use onion only for blending if you don’t like onion while biting.
• You can use cumin seeds instead of fennel seeds.
Posted on April 22, 2014, in Indian, Side dish, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Peas Masala, Replacement for Panner Mattar, Tofu. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment