Brown and Red Rice – Idli
Idli is a steamed cake made from rice and black lentils (Urad dal) originating from Southern India. Idlis are made in a specialized mould and eaten with chutney, vegetable stew or other flavourful toppings for breakfast or as a snack. These small treats are good for you and, as a bonus, convenient for those on the go.
As a variation to make this fibre rich dish have added Brown rice, Barley and Puffed rice.
Quantity: 18-20 Idlis
Cooking time: 15 minutes
• Brown rice-1 cup
• Red rice-1 cup
• Urad dal-1/4 cup
• Puffed rice – 1/2 cup
• Barley-2 tbsp
• Methi/Fenugreek seeds-2 tbsp
• Salt- as required
• Baking soda-pinch
• Water-for grinding
• Wash and soak Brown rice, Red rice, Urad dal, Barley and Fenugreek seeds for 4 – 5 hours or Overnight.
• Puffed rice can be soaked 30 minutes before grinding.
• Now drain the water and grind them in the grinder by adding water. Add water in regular intervals. It takes nearly 15-20 minutes for grinding. Remove the batter to a large bowl and let it ferment for overnight or 8-10 hrs depending on the weather.
• Next day the batter would have raised well. Add salt as per taste and a pinch of baking soda mix well .
• Grease the idli plates and pour a ladle full of batter in each greased depression of idli plates.
• Steam for 13-15 minutes on a medium high heat. ( If your using cooker don’t use the whistle)
• Once you switch off the flame let it sit for 5 minutes and then remove the idlis neatly with wet flat spoon.
Serve warm with
• If the weather is not warm can let the batter ferment in the oven with the light on.
• Red rice can be replaced with Brown or Idli rice
• Barley is optional
• Adding puffed rice makes Idli’s soft. It can be replaced with flattened rice/poha.
Posted on April 22, 2014, in Breakfast, Indian, Main dish and tagged Brown rice Idli, drchdietfood, Healthy Breakfast ideas, Indian healthy breakfast recipes, Oats Idli, Red rice flakes Idli, Steamed healthy Cake. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.
Reblogged this on MrMilitantNegro™.
Pingback: Idli OR Dosa batter muffins | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen
Pingback: Almond and curry leaves chutney/Dip | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen
Pingback: Garlic Chutney | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen
Pingback: Peanut Curry leaves Chutney powder | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen