Ridge gourd and green gram kootu/gravy (ZERO Oil)
Ridge gourd known as Erekayi (Kannada) or Beerakaya (Telugu) or Turai (Hindi) or Luffa (in other countries) is a dark green vegetable which is ridged on outside with white fibrous pulp inside.
It is highly recommended by health experts and doctors for its medicinal properties. Ridge-gourd is good for stomach and effective in reducing constipation, purifies blood, cures jaundice, beneficial for diabetics due to the existence of insulin, aids weight loss due to its low saturated fat content, possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic properties, strengthens immune system, excellent for skin care and is utilized in making loofah sponge which is used as a body scrub.
Mung beans are also high in fibre, low in saturated fat, low in sodium, and contain no cholesterol. Because of the wide range of nutrients contained in mung beans, they offer a whole host of health benefits for the immune system, the metabolism, the heart and other organs, cell growth, protection against free radicals, and diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
So combination of ridge gourd will be packed with fiber and protein.
Makes: 4 servings
Cooking time: 20-25mins
Preparation time: 20mins
• Ridge gourd-2cups peeled and chopped
• Salt-as per taste
Dry roast grind:
• Green chilli-4-5num
• Roughly chopped onion-1num
• Dry coconut/dessicated coconut-3tbsp
• Sesame seeds-1tbsp
• Pepper corns-4-5
• Corn flour-1tbsp (dissolved in 1/4cup of milk)
• Cumin seeds-1tsp
• Curry leaves-3-4
• Finely chopped onion-1/2num
• Clean, wash and soak green gram in water for 2-3hrs. Drain and keep aside.
• Combine green gram, chopped ridge gourd, salt and 1cup of water or until it covers the vegetables and dal and pressure cook for 2-3whistles.
• Switch off and wait for the pressure to come down.
• In a non-stick pan dry roast ginger garlic, onion, green chilli, pepper corns , sesame seeds , fenugreek seeds for 4-5mins and let it cool down.
• Throw the roasted ingredients in a mixer/ blender jar and blend it to the smooth paste by adding some water.
• Heat a non-stick pan on medium flame and when hot add cumin seeds, curry leaves, chopped onion and roast for 2-3mins, then add ground masala, cooked green gram- ridge gourd and cook for 8-10mins.
• Add corn flour-milk mixture mix well and simmer for 5-7mins or till the kootu thickens. (If the gravy is too thick add water and bring it to boil)
Serve hot with Roti, Chapatti OR Rice.
• You can use 1tsp oil while seasoning if you wish to.
• The fiber content of ridge gourd is high in the skin so don’t peel the skin completely retain the green skin on it.
• I used ¼ tsp of fenugreek seeds for the gravy, it gives flavour but add bitterness to the dish so haven’t mentioned in the recipe.
Posted on May 29, 2014, in Indian, Side dish and tagged Chinese Okra recipes, drchdietfood, Green gram recipe, indianrecipe, indianvegetarianrecipe, Luffa receipes, Mung beans, Oil free Healthy sidedish, Oil free Indian Curry, Oil free Indian gravy, Ridge gourd, Ridge gourd recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.
Your recipes are amazing. Dunno how many times I’m going to repeat myself over and over again. But they are so good.
Thanks Charanya for your continued Encouragement and motivation.
Thanks Charanya for your continued Encourgement and motivation.
Anytime 🙂 You deserve it 🙂