Braided Bread – Whole wheat and herbs
Challah is a braided bread that is eaten in many cultures. Traditionally challah recipes are made using white flour and egg.
Here I haven’t used any egg and replaced white flour with whole wheat flour. This is delicious and beautiful braided bread. You only need few ingredients that can be easily fiound in any grocery shop. Just sprinkled some flaxseed on top, you can even sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds instead.
Makes ~ 800 gms
Baking time: 25-30mins
Preparation time: 15mins
• Whole wheat flour-2 cup
• Milk powder-1/4cup
• Warm milk-1/4cup
• Warm water-1cup/ as enough to form the dough
• Salt- as per taste
• Dried Italian herbs-1/2tsp
• Olive oil-1/4cup
• Olive oil butter-for brushing
• Flax seed-to sprinkle on top
• In a bowl combine yeast in 1/2cup warm water and honey together. Mix a bit and let it stand for 10-15minutes /until the yeast frothes.
• In a large mixing bowl combine flour, milk powder, herbs, salt and oil to form crumbs.
• Add milk, yeast mixture to this and bring together to form a dough.
• Knead the dough for 7-10minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
• Transfer to a well oiled bowl wrap with the cling film and set aside in a warm place until the dough is doubled in volume. (May be approx. for 2-3hrs)
• After the dough has risen, punch it down transfer to the surface and sprinkle 1tbsp oil and knead for 3-4minutes.
• Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each piece into a rope about 16inch long. Pinch the three starnds together at one end and braid the strands and again pinch the strands at the end of the braid.
• Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg c and line and grease the baking tray.
• Place the braided bread dough onto the prepared baking sheet and turn smoothen the braided ends and arrange the loaf so its straight and even.
• Cover the dough with the plastic wrap and place it in the warm place for 30-40minutes/ until doubled in size.
• Then brush some milk, sprinkle some flaxseed on the dough and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30mins/until its nicely browned on top uncovered.
• Remove the bread from the oven and brush some olive oil butter and let it cool completely on a rack.
• You can even use almond milk and skip milk powder for vegan option
• You can even use half white flour and half wheat flour
• You can use any herbs of your choice