Tofu capsicum gravy – Vegan
This is quick, easy, vegan recipe. Roasted tofu and bell peppers to make it crispy and then added to the onion tomato gravy with few spices to elevate the taste.
Tofu or bean curd is a popular food derived from soya. It is made by curdling fresh soya milk, pressing it into solid block. Tofu is rich in protein and there is a misconception that vegetarians do not get as much protein as meat lovers do. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium
Bell peppers provide more than just colour and crunch to dishes. These vibrant vegetables are source of valuable nutrients, fibre and antioxidants. Including these vegetables in your diet enhances your health.
Cooking time: 20mins
Preparation time: 15mins
• Capsicum-2num (deseeded and diced to cubes)
• Chilli powder-1tsp
• Coriander powder-1tsp
• Cumin powder-1/2tsp
• Kasoori methi-1/2tsp
• Oil-2tsp+ for toasting capsicum and tofu
• Salt- as per taste
• Corn flour-1tbsp
• Almond milk-1/2cup
• Roughly chopped Onion-1num
• Finely chopped ginger-2tsp
• Finely chopped garlic-1tbsp
• Finely chopped green chilli-1tbsp
• Saunf/fennel seeds-1/2tsp
• Cinnamon-1 stick
• Coriander- Handful fresh leaves
• Remove all the water from the tofu by swaddling the block in a paper napkin or cloth
• Place it in the sieve with heavy weight on it and let it stand for an hour to drain the liquid in it.
• Then cut it into cubes or any shape as per your choice
• In a small bowl combine corn flour, milk and set aside
• Blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water, as it cools down peel the skin, chop and set aside.
• Heat a non-stick pan add ginger, garlic, onion, cashew nuts, clove, cinnamon, saunf, green chilli and saute for 2-3mins or until the onions are slightly brown in colour; Turn off the flame and let it cool down a bit.
• Now throw the blanched tomatoes into the blender/mixer and blend it to smooth puree and transfer to a bowl and set aside.
• Then blend the sauted onion mixture to smooth paste and set aside.
• Now heat a not stick pan add cubed capsicums and sprinkle some oil, salt and toast until tender but still crunch (approx. 3-4mins) transfer to the plate and set aside.
• In the same pan shallow fry the tofu until golden brown on each side, about 3-4minutes per side on a medium high flame and remove on to the plate and set aside.
• Then heat oil in the pan and add the onion masala paste and stir fry until light brown 3-4minutes add red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder and mix well.
• Add tomato puree and stir fry for 3-4mins again / until the mixture thickens a bit.
• Add salt, milk corn flour mixture and simmer for 2-3minutes.
• Then add in the sauted capsicum,tofu, kasoori methi and cook for 2 -3more minutes by stirring occasionally in between.
• Turn off the flame and transfer the gravy to the serving bowl.
Garnish with coriander and serve.
• You can even use paneer instead of tofu.
• You can even use regular milk instead of almond milk.
• You can even saute the tomatoes along with onion.
• You can use fresh cream instead of cornflour-milk mixture
Posted on June 10, 2014, in Indian, Side dish, Vegan and tagged capsicum, drchdietfood, Indian Side dishes, Tofu, Tofu capsicum gravy, Tofu curry, Tofu dishes, Vegan cake, Vegan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 10 Comments.