Brown rice set dosa/Crepes
Set dosas are soft, spongy, fluffy dosas which is cooked on one side and is served in a set of 2/3. These dosas/crepes are slightly thick in size and are served with delicious chutney and saagu (Side dish made of vegetables). It is one of the most stomach filling or even a balanced meal that can be eaten for brunch/breakfast time too.
The basic ingredients involved in preparing set dosa batter are from rice, urad dal anolg with par-boiled rice, methi seeds and poha. Just as a healthy option I replaced rice with brown rice.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Brown rice-2cup
- Poha/Aval/Pressed rice-3/4cup
- Urad dal-1/4cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1tsp
- Channa dal-2tbsp
- Soda-bi carb-1/2tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Wash brown rice, poha, barley and urad dal well.
- Mix brown rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, poha, barley, channa dal and soak with enough water for 6-8hours/ overnight.
- In a bowl mix yogurt with 1cup of water and whisk to buttermilk consistency and set aside.
- Drain water from soaked dals, rice mixture and then blend it with yogurt mixture(buttermilk) to make a smooth batter of pouring consistency.
- Cover and let it ferment for 8hours/ overnight.
For making dosas:
- Take the fermented batter add in salt, soda bicarb and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick griddle/tawa brushes some oil.
- Now pour ladle full of batter on it and do not spread and let it spread by itself like a thick pancake.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat until its golden brown.
- Flip it over to the other side and let it cook for a min.
- Remove from hob and transfer it to a serving plate.
Serve hot with tomato chutney (Recipe link)
- You can use white rice instead of brown rice
- You can serve hot crepes with Butter for an added taste