Soya bean methi pulao
Soya bean methi pulao is healthy, nutritious, simple tasty recipe. This brown rice is a rich source of protein and fiber.
Methi OR Fenugreek leaves: They are hardly known when we consider it as a herb instead of a spice. It is basically a kind of green leafy vegetables unless you dry them for storage (kasuri methi). So they will give you all the goodness associated with green vegetables. The fresh leaves of the Methi plant have a slightly bitter under taste and can be cooked just like we cook spinach. It is a very good source of iron; it helps to control the hormonal level of insulin in the blood.
Soybean: It is hailed as the most protective bean. Soy contains 40 percent protein. It has the highest protein content amongst plant products. “Soy protein” refers to the protein found in soybeans. As animal protein contains all the essential amino acids, lacking in pulse protein, soy is often used to replace the animal proteins in an individual’s diet. Soybean is the only vegetable food that contains all eight essential amino acids.
Cooking time: 20mins
Preparation time: 15mins
- Brown basmati rice-1cup
- Fresh methi leaves-1big bunch
- Soya bean-3/4cup
- Chopped onion-1num
- Bay leaf-1
- Star anise-1 (optional)
- Chopped Green chillies-5num
- Salt- as required
- Coriander- Handful fresh leaves
- Low fat Coconut milk-1cup
- Water-1 -11/2 cup/ as required
- Lemon juice- as required
- Wash and Soak soya bean overnight, drain and set aside.
- Wash and soak white/brown basmati for 30mins-1hr, drain and set aside.
- Wash and finely chop methi leaves and set aside.
- Blend green chilli, ginger, garlic, clove, cinnamon, star anise in the blender/mixer to coarse.
- Heat oil in a cooker add bay leaf, ground masala, onion and saute for few minutes.
- Add chopped methi leaves and cook for 8-10mins or till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in salt, drained basmati rice, soya bean and mix well and saute for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water and pressure cook for 3-4whistels.wait for the pressure to come down.
- Add a dash of lemon juice mix well, garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with Raita/any side dish of your choice.
- Coconut milk is optional you can just use water instead.
- You can just add the garam masala whole without grounding and use ginger garlic, chilli paste.
- You can use white rice in place of Brown rice